Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a windows 2k machine hooked up to my printer. I am a very newbie at all this so I really have no idea what my options are. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printing from RH 9.0 to a windows machine

I have a windows 2k machine hooked up to my printer. I am a very newbie at all this so I really have no idea what my options are. I would like to be able to print to my win2k machine from linux, and I just kind of want to get an idea of what I need to do. I don't need the gruesome details, just what should I be looking up. Am I suppose to go through Samba? or is there another way?

Linux Guru
    If you're using LPRng, just use printconf-gui, add a printer and configure it to be a SMB queue. As I recall it, it's really simple.

Just Joined!
    Maybe I sounded smarter than I am...I don't even know how to use Samba yet....I am going to look that up first and see if I can learn it. But if you have a good (user friendly) Samba guide I could use that too.

After I setup Samba to some reasonable level, can I just follow your instructions? Right now, I don't even understand your instructions.

Linux Newbie
    You just need the client side of samba (smbclient). You dont really need to know much about how to use smbclient either, it is just used to send the data to the windows print spool.
    A filter has to be used to correctly format the data that is sent via smbclient to the share.

I use a tool called apsfilter to setup my printcap files and generate the filters required. There probably is a _more_ userfriendly config tool (try printconf-gui that Dolda2000 suggested) but thats what I use on my servers and it works great.

Linux Guru
    If you use printconf-gui, you won't even have to know Samba. I don't even know if LPRng goes through samba; it might have its own implementation. The other advantage of using LPRng/printconf-gui is that configures the filter for you as well.