Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just recently set my system up to dual boot vista and Ubuntu hardy Heron. im now realizing that i never use Ubuntu and would like the HD space back ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot ubuntu but dont like it how to get rid of it?

I just recently set my system up to dual boot vista and Ubuntu hardy Heron.

im now realizing that i never use Ubuntu and would like the HD space back

i used the Vista Disk management and deleted the Ubuntu partition, that caused the GRUB loader error 17
    (17 i think, research said something about unable to mount).

reinstalled Ubuntu and all is well, but now how do i remove it properly?

Linux Guru
    If you were booting with Grub and deleted the ubuntu partition, you will need to restore the vista bootloader to the mbr. Never used vista but I'm sure it has some tool that in addition to deleting the ubuntu partition can resize that space formatted as ntfs.

Here's a link for re-installing mbr on vista (about half way down the page):

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

download and burn the SuperGrub livecd to disk and boot to it, then just choose the option to install the windows boot loader and once that is fixed you can get rid of the ubuntu partition

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Or
    Re-install Vista Boot Loader using Vista Installation DVD. Follow instructions from here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thanks for the response all,, however this brings me to another problem.,.,.,. i dont have windows install disk haha im downloading Vista Ultimate now i had vista premium i would like to upgrade any way.. but will replacing the other OS completly cause me to loose files? all im really worried about are my mp3's and movies

I dont have any experience in Vista Upgrade and I would suggest you to ask about that in Windows OS Forums only.

Regarding removing GRUB, try SuperGRUB CD as suggested earlier.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First