Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've downloaded ayttm (msn, yahoo, etc messenger). I double clicked the rpm, it asked me for the root pass, i entered it. It installed ok, but where's the program file?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing software

I've downloaded ayttm (msn, yahoo, etc messenger). I double clicked the rpm, it asked me for the root pass, i entered it. It installed ok, but where's the program file?

Linux Guru
    The program file is probably in /usr/bin. Check out your program menu instead. If you want to know more about where files are installed and why, check this old post out. It's not quite complete, but it tells you the most important stuff.

Linux Enthusiast
    you could always do the good old ALT-F2 then type the name of the program and then enter.
    works on KDE

Just Joined!
    I found the dir where the program is, but there is no file i can double sclick and run the program.
    Could anyone explain this to me?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    What do you mean that there is no file you can start? I though you found it?

Linux Enthusiast
    if you can run it then it needs to be an .exe file

usually it is in /usr/bin or in a directory specific to that file (/usr/local/nameofprogram/bin)

if you have the exe but it still won't run then it could be missing dependencies - which is weird cuz it shouldn't have installed in the first place then.

what is attym anyway? Is that like Gaim? why not use Gaim? there is newer better version that just came out.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by yowwww
    if you can run it then it needs to be an .exe file
    What's that supposed to mean, yowwww? .exe is a rather confusing way to imply executable in UNIX.

Linux Engineer

whereis

Can't you run the command 'whereis'? I use it from time to time when I install new programs from source.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Enthusiast
    sorry, I had windass on the brain cause I am setting up filesharing with samba lately.

yes, it is an executable file in linux, not an .exe.