Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am looking to install linux onto a hp t5530 thin client box! As it only has 128mb ram and a 64mb flash drive (or usb boot but would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What to install for very small?

Hi I am looking to install linux onto a hp t5530 thin client box!
    As it only has 128mb ram and a 64mb flash drive (or usb boot but would like to try to keep it into the 64mb flash) I am VERY limited to space.

I only need a desktop with firefox (or similar) and pdf viewing ability.
    No need for ANY other icons or features! (to be used in a factory to view drawings. the more limited the better!)

This may seem like an impossible task but...

I have tried the thinstation desktop edition live cd (only 36MB) this runs perfectly and has firefox. It does not have a pdf viewer tho...

Would it be better/possible to modify this live cd to feature a pdf viewer or to install another distro and just put the bare minimum on?

How would I go about modifying the live cd?
    Any advise greatly accepted.
    Thanks
    Tony

Hi swisstone

You could give PuppyLinux or Damn Small Linux (DSL) a go but I don't think either will come with a PDF reader as the distributions only have the bare minimum amount of software and a PDF reader wont be considered as a necessity.

You can modify LiveCDs but I have never done this myself. There are many tutorials though and a Google search might be able to produce a tutorial for your version of Thinstation.

Good luck!
    Linux User #453176

Check this Poll on Fav distros for Old Machines too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First