Find the answer to your Linux question:
I also get "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:00". I'm installing on an old Compaq computer and I'm planning on installing this as text only. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting message "Kernel panic: no init found" duri

I also get "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:00". I'm installing on an old Compaq computer and I'm planning on installing this as text only. I have no CD-ROM on this laptop so I'm using a network install. However while booting when it's checking the system I guess I get this. I tried the floppy on my PC and it worked fine. I tried skipping the hardware and it still gave me this. Can someone please tell me what the problem is and how I can rectify it?

Linux Guru
    09:00 is your first RAID device. Are you sure that is what you want?

Just Joined!

All I did was create an ext2 partition with Partition Magic. I never specified to used RAID. What problems could using RAID cause anyway?

Linux Guru
    My only real idea would be that the installation program somehow decided not to specify a root partition in your GRUB config, and therefore the kernel fell back to its compiled in default, which happened to be the raid device.
    What partition did you create your root filesystem on?

Just Joined!

I went back into Partition Magic and it's not defining what partition it was installed on. It just has an * where it should list the partition. I don't remember if it does this when I install under any other PC. I generally always used Disk Druid to partition for Linux but I have to get into Linux's install program to get to it which I can't. I deleted all the partitions and I get the same error.

Linux Guru
    Why exactly can't you get in to Disk Druid?