Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Just reading back over these posts, your Fdisk shows windows on sda1(vista?), swap on sda2, ubuntu sda3, and sda4(xp?) while the menu.lst you posted shows sda2 as vista and sda4 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Just reading back over these posts, your Fdisk shows windows on sda1(vista?), swap on sda2, ubuntu sda3, and sda4(xp?) while the menu.lst you posted shows sda2 as vista and sda4 as ubuntu. Confused me. I guess you have this corrected now?

I would be careful with the xp boot so you don't mess up the vista again.
    Luck!

Just Joined!
    Yep, I did correct than yancek. Anyways, I added the XP entry into the menu.lst file and rebooted, but no luck on the XP boot. When I select the XP option, it says

Starting up...

Remove disks or other media.
    Press any key to restart
    When I press a key it sends me back to the GRUB screen. Here is what I added for the XP entry

title Windows XP
    root (hd0,3)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    Do I need to make any other changes other than this?

Linux Guru
    Did you have the vista or xp disk in the drive when you re-booted?
    Does vista boot with an entry of (hd0,0)?
    If xp is on sda4 as indicated by your fdisk output, the entry you have should work. You have 2 windows partitions sda1 and sda4 and then ubuntu on sda3 and sda2 as your swap so if vista boots from (hd0,0) I'm not sure why xp does not boot with your current entry unless the xp bootloader got messed up somehow.

Just Joined!
    I don't have any media in the drives, but I don't think that should matter anyway. I can boot into Ubuntu and Vista no problem now, but the XP install gives me that "Remove disks or other media" message and just goes right back to the GRUB screen. I have been trolling around other forums, and Ive looked at other posts with similar problems but I haven't found a solution yet.

Vista Boot Loader should give you an option to boot up either Vista or XP. GRUB can not boot up second Windows OS directly.

I would suggest you to remove GRUB, setup Vista/XP dual boot. Re-install GRUB.

GRUB --- Ubuntu + Vista.
    On selecting Vista option in GRUB Menu ---> Vista + XP.
    Last edited by devils casper; 06-05-2008 at 03:21 AM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Seriously? Grub can't handle two windows installs? Thats kinda wierd. Anyways I will look into the VistaBootPro, but a second boot loader after grub is less than ideal.

GRUB uses chainloading to boot up Windows OSes and its not possible to chainload second Windows OS from GRUB because Windows doesn't support that.
    You dont have to install any Windows Boot Loader for Windows/Windows dual boot. Dual boot is default in Windows OSes too. Didn't Vista installer detected other Windows OS and setup dual boot itself?

Just Joined!
    Interesting, I did the Vista install first, then Ubuntu, then XP. I know thats not the correct install order, but the XP install was on a whim. The only reason I wanted to put XP on was because I needed a 32bit OS to use as a production/DJ setup for my midi controller, which doesnt have 64 bit drivers. Thanks for the knowledgable advice though Casper, its much appreciated!

Probably a bit after the event now ... but you may not need to wipe grub from the MBR again. Since you already have Vista booting all you need to do is add an entry in Vista bootloader to get XP to boot. I think you only need to boot Vista and run Bcdedit as link posted by yancek ... you just complete step 2.

One has to re-install GRUB after editing/re-installing Windows Boot Loader.

I found a few instructions on How to setup Vista/Dual boot when one installs XP after Vista :
    First, make sure you have set your folder options to see hidden files and to show protected operating system files. Then open Windows Explorer and go to the drive where Vista is installed. Copy the folder Boot, and the files bootmgr, boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr and paste them to the root of your XP drive.

Then download Vista Boot Pro and save it to your desktop or somewhere else that you can easily access. Unless you already have .Net Framework (v2.0 at least) it will redirect you to a Microsoft page where you can download this necessary component.

Install and run Vista Boot Pro and open the "Bootloader" tab. Select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" and press Apply. Then go to the Manage OS Entries tab and select "Add new operating system entry" and make sure you select "Windows Legacy". Give the new entry a name (ie: Windows XP) and select the drive letter you have XP on and then select Apply. You can also choose which entry you would like as the default the system will boot to.

And now you should be able to dual boot between Vista and a previous OS.
    Reboot machine after editing Windows Boot Loader. In case GRUB Menu doesn't appear, re-install it using SuperGRUB CD.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4