Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Actually, I did check out the GRUB sources, and this is what turns out: There is a compiled in default of /boot/grub/menu.lst, but that's most probably not used. The GRUB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Actually, I did check out the GRUB sources, and this is what turns out: There is a compiled in default of /boot/grub/menu.lst, but that's most probably not used. The GRUB stage2 file is actually modified when installed, so that some bytes after the first jmp instruction contains the path that's used to load the config file. That way, you specify what path to use when you use GRUB's install command. I guess, therefore, that Debian has set up /etc/menu.lst for you.

Linux Engineer

no /etc/menu.lst

I was fascinated to see that there was no /etc/menu.lst or /etc/grub.conf. I thought these would exist as a soft link but they don't. Regardless thanks for clearing up this confusion regarding which file was being used.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    What about removing GRUB? Say, for instance, I want to totally remove Linux and install Windows or something, leaving no trace of GRUB. How do you completely get rid of it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    GRUB isn't something that can removed; it has to be replaced. Windows 9x/ME and DOS has FDISK /MBR that will write Windows' boot sector back. I don't know how to do it in NT/2000/XP, though.

Linux Engineer

just install windows

Finished,

Can I ask why you are removing linux? My theory is that linux just isn't the best personal computer when it comes to an average user. I use Windows2000 most of the time when I just need a pc. Then again, lately I've been getting very comfortable in linux but that's cause I've been tweaking things left and right making it just right for me. Come to think of it, I've been spending a lot more time in linux than I normally do. This is good for me!
    As for you removing GRUB, Dolda is correct about not being able to remove GRUB. You'll have to install LILO or something else but GRUB is great so... that takes care of that.
    This is the first time I'll say this but Dolda is correct to a certain point. If you want to reinstall Windows, providing that you reformat the hard drive and do a fresh installation, it WILL over write over the MBR which will remove GRUB. I've reinstalled Windows XP and Windows 2000 numerous times so I know that this works.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru

Re: just install windows

Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    it WILL over write over the MBR which will remove GRUB.
    That's precisely what I meant; it will overwrite GRUB. In effect, you can say that it removes GRUB, while in fact it does it by replacing it with Windows' boot code. The closest you could come to actually removing GRUB is to overwrite with zero-sectors, but that would render you computer unbootable, since you'd have usable boot code (and it would still be replacing). In the end it all comes down to that you can't really remove your MBR without removing your hard drive.

And actually, Windows (at least 9x) overwrites GRUB whether you want it or not, even if you don't reformat your hard drive, which has been quite troublesome sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2