Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Don't fsck up your parents machine. Do not partition your parents machine. If pops doesn't want Linux on his machine, don't do it. If you want to use Linux, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Don't fsck up your parents machine. Do not partition your parents machine. If pops doesn't want Linux on his machine, don't do it.
    If you want to use Linux, and i admire that, use a liveCD as others have suggested. There are several out there and most will allow you to save your settings to a floppy or a pen drive or, in some cases, to the hard drive.
    Of course, the ultimate solution would be to buy your own computer. Even if you're too young to get a job, there are many things you can do to earn enough to buy or build a computer in a very few weeks.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    Where's your sense of adventure, U-Turn?

Nah, really my Dad's ok. It's not an aversion to having linux on the computer, it's just the fact that he doesn't want the OS selction coming up when the computer starts. Basically, if I can get it all installed without changing the way he operates the computer, then I get a green light.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine
    Where's your sense of adventure, U-Turn?

Nah, really my Dad's ok. It's not an aversion to having linux on the computer, it's just the fact that he doesn't want the OS selction coming up when the computer starts. Basically, if I can get it all installed without changing the way he operates the computer, then I get a green light.
    In that case, when installing linux do not install a boot loader. If it askes to create a boot floopy, choose yes. This lets you start linux if you have the floppy in the drive at boot, otherwise it defaults to windows.
    --monkey

Linux Engineer
    CoLinux runs from the windows partition although I'd expect you'd need a decent box.

From what you've said I'd suggest a bootable live cd and let it save settings, files etc to a small partition. Knoppix will do this for you, as will dyne:bolic. Others probably will. That way you're livecd is the boot disk and no fiddling with the windows mbr.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Remeber if you do start to mess with partitions backup the data on the disk first. But I suggest talking to your parents and explaing that you want to learn Linux and that you would like to use a few GB of the disk for it. Explain that this will not cause them problems and say that you will be installing whats called a bootloader and it will give them the choice to use Linux or Windows and all they have to do is hit enter (Make windows you default OS) to get into windows.

If they dissagree to this you should respect there desision and use a liveCD dont just partition the disk without there permission what if you screw the machine and all there data they wont be happy, Would you not be pissed if someone did this to your PC.

Linux Newbie
    My verdict:
    a) Install Slackware 8.1 on as UMSDOS on the C drive under the folder Linux - it will not touch your windows install and make a bootdisk - so when you want to go to linux just insert it when you turn on the computer. That is the second best solution and if you don't mind waiting 10 minutes for Slackware to start (umssync
    b) A LiveCD of anything is probably better as Slackware 8,1 is outdated and not suitable for on-line use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2