Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, I obviously didn't know what to title this. :P My computer at home is a Win98SE machine and unfortunately that is what it must remain. Nevertheless, I want linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Invisible Linux?

Ok, I obviously didn't know what to title this. :P

My computer at home is a Win98SE machine and unfortunately that is what it must remain. Nevertheless, I want linux as I'm sure you will understand. I don't really have the freedom to do drastic experiments with what I can and can not get away with on this computer.

Anyways, this is what I need to be able to do in order to have linux:

Firstly, no partitioning of the hard disk. Needs to be on same HD partition as my Win98SE. That isn't too hard to find... Have suggestions for the best one? But secondly, I can't have LILO or another OS selection screen come up when the computer boots up. It needs to just enter Windows by default, and only boot linux if I tell it to using a boot disk or something along those lines. In effect, I want invisible linux on my computer that I wont get busted for installing. :P

So, what's the verdict? I've got a feeling that it isn't going to happen, but I couldn't help but ask. If I've just lost all semblance of sanity, feel free to say so...

Thanks in advance...

Just Joined!
    A live cd distro?

I wouldnt know how to install it without partitioning, but if you want it invisible just make a boot disk after installing, then run the windows cd to repair the MBR.

That might work

Linux Engineer
    If you want to install linux then it will need it's own partition. I wouldn't think you could install to the windows partition.

You could try one of the live cds. Or let one of the live distros create a small save and swap partition.

Alternatively use one of the small distros, DSL. Feather, and run that from a usb stick, depending if your BIOS will allow that.

If you use LILO then that can be bunged on a floppy so the mbr of c: remains intact.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    i agree with chris k ,you can install linux and not to install some specific boot loader like grub or lilo by putting all the necessary files for boot into a floppy.in such way the mbr won't change and then it won't seem that there is linux in the system.if you want to start linux just change from bios the settings to load floppy first and put the floppy you made in the installation of linux..linux will start..
    good luck!
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    Since it is your computer, what's the chaos? Who makes the rule that you can't install Linux on your own machine? Unless your father's name is Bill Gates.

Just joking. Get a live cd is the best way. Because if even you don't install a bootloader on you machine, you are still required some space for your linux partition. Whoever are sharing the same computer with you will notice that since the volumn of your hard drive will be changed. Let's face it, your linux has to occupy at least over 1 G of your hard drive.

More then likely the parents PC and they dont want it to be messed with. As said a good option is the liveCD no installing etc..

Just Joined!
    hummm... I thought there was a way to run linux from a FAT16 or FAT32 partition.. In fact I think I did it years ago with a very old version of slackware - all the files went into a directory, then I'd LOADLIN from a batch file to start linux.. Am I off?

Anyway - you can get a pretty cool 'linux like' environment in windows - called cygwin ( at http://www.cygwin.com/ ). I run it at work because it does somethings better than windows but I cant install linux there!

It can run on FAT but would need its own partition there is no way around it.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I'm liking the "put LILO on a boot disk" idea. That wouldn't be too risky would it? Or too difficult? I'm beginning to look more favorably on the idea of partitioning. It is indeed my parent's computer, but I get the feeling they won't ever notice if the hard disk capacity goes down by a few GB. I just know they will definitely notice if a bootloader comes up asking them which operating system to boot. :P

I hear the new Mandrake release gives the option of installing LILO to floppy. Anyone happen to know if my Mandrake 9.2 cd will also have that option, before I take the plunge? Would probably save me a headache or two.

Raine runs off to practice his "the hard disk has always only been 10 GB dad" speach.

Linux User
    The best thing IMHO is go to a used PC shop and aquire a second HD. You will want one atleast 6GB. Then put that drive into the computer as a slave drive. Do your linux install to that drive and put the boot loader on a floppy.

If you can obtain a second drive there is no need to partion the master
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast