Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by i92guboj Well, that's why I stay away from binary based distros. In 1400 it was the "standard behavior" to believe the Earth is flat. Which doesn't make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    Well, that's why I stay away from binary based distros. In 1400 it was the "standard behavior" to believe the Earth is flat. Which doesn't make it true.
    A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver.
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    Sure. But if you want something that operates on a very concrete and custom way, you usually need to work a bit for it. By building statically you save yourself the hassle of using an initrd, by the way.
    I wouldn't call an initrd hassle. This is just about the only inconvenience of running one. Dynamic modules are a strength of Linux and in this case I don't think we're looking for something to work in a "a very concrete and custom way".
    Installing with pxe is a valid alternative and is what I would use if you are not willing to read a bit and recompile your kernel (as I said, it's not THAT hard and you can use the config of the distro kernel). I fail to see the difficulty on that.
    The purpose of this project is to provide systems for families and schools. This is not a matter of difficulty, this is a matter of keeping the distro working in such a way that it won't require in-depth knowledge to maintain and keeping it so that a system update won't break it later. It would be at least as much work if not more to go the initrd route as to go with PXE. The more standard it is the less chance of a support call.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver.
    Yep. but you answer with another one :P

I wouldn't call an initrd hassle. This is just about the only inconvenience of running one. Dynamic modules are a strength of Linux and in this case I don't think we're looking for something to work in a "a very concrete and custom way".
    I am not going to argue about this because no one is going to pay me for that, so I will save myself and everyone else the pain. The OP asked about fast deployment of disk images, and that's what I answered. PXE is not quite the same (though it could serve the same final purpose), still, I think that all the cards are over the desk. Let him chose. I don't think anyone is interested on whose method is smarter.

The purpose of this project is to provide systems for families and schools. This is not a matter of difficulty, this is a matter of keeping the distro working in such a way that it won't require in-depth knowledge to maintain and keeping it so that a system update won't break it later.
    There's no extra knowledge involved in later maintenance. The distro will work as it would work any other way. It's just the default kernel which changes, and I am sure that debian can install the kernel sources using it's package manager, so I don't know why this method is considered by you less official than a pre-built kernel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2