Find the answer to your Linux question:
k well I low level formatted the drive and have started over. I am in Win XP right now and I want to put SuSE back on but I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Dual Boot Without SuSE killing my Partition Table???

k well I low level formatted the drive and have started over. I am in Win XP right now and I want to put SuSE back on but I am kinda nervous. I used the windows install cd to divide the drive giving me a 40gig windows partition and then the rest of the 120gig drive as unallocated. Now everytime I install SuSE it destroys my partitions tables and windows won't boot. I can't set my drive to LBA as I have no option becuase its SATA and won't even show up in my motherboard bios. I was wondering about using Partition Magic to do the formatting and partitioning in windows but then I figured that it doesn't support Reiser. So what do I do, I mean the driver fix didn't work the last time and I really hate losing everything over and over again. I thought about other distros but I really like SuSE and it supports all of my hardware, plus its the 2.6 kernal that is doing all the killing and most new linux versions use that kernel. So please HELP!

Linux Engineer
    afaik partition magic does support reiserfs.

Just Joined!
    really??? wow I will have to look into that.... So would that be a good work around to the problem I am having?

Full problem description can be found here
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...booting91.html

Linux Engineer
    no.. just do what it says in the website.

Just Joined!
    thats the problem.... the driver update didnt work last time, and becuase my HD is a SATA drive and is plugged into a HighPoint SATA card I have no control over whether or not it is set to LBA. I find it kinda risky to do an install with the chance it could wipe out everything again if the driver update doesn't work. Shouldn't there be a patch for the installer by now???

Just Joined!
    anyone???