Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is my dilemma: Just bought a new presario3000 and want to resize the NTFS to allow my redhat7.3 in. Normal dual booting won't work because I want all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Resizing winXP NTFS to allow Linux in...plz help!

This is my dilemma:

Just bought a new presario3000 and want to resize the NTFS to allow my redhat7.3 in. Normal dual booting won't work because I want all the software and drivers included in the 4 cds w/ the WinXP image, which doesn't include partition utilities, and wipes out my Linux partition and MBR without even asking. If I try installing Linux afterwards, I can't resize (or don't know how to) the NTFS. I heard there are NTFS resizing utilities, but how do i use one? Where do I run it from? Where do I get one for free? Thanks for yer help

Linux Engineer
    Partition magic is free from on kazaa.

Linux Guru
    If you just bought the computer, can't you just reinstall WinXP? The installation program does allow you to create partitions that don't span the entire disk.

Linux User

restore CDs

I think he might have restore CDs. They are very popular over here and a pain in the ass. you boot from the CD and it ghosts your hard drive back to factory state.

Doesn't Mandrake allow NTFS resizing? If so you could begin installing mandrake to resize your partition and then install RH after.

Otherwise partition magic will do the job. Or you could use proper XP disks to do this.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    I can't believe that Mandrake would allow NTFS resizing, right? Are there any free tools for that?

Just Joined!
    I did read about a free toll for NFTS resizing, however it is new and I ave never used it. I rely on PM when trying to resize a NFTS partition. You can steal it from Kazaa or you can order it from ebay for 13 bucks. Either way you'll have it and can go from there.

Linux Guru
    But if even the kernel doesn't have write support for NTFS due to lack of information, how could there be a complete resizing tool all of a sudden? That seems strange to me. Or could it be that much simpler to write a resizing tool?

Just Joined!
    http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

Like I said I don't know much about it I just read it on another forum.

Linux Guru
    There you see... I thought the Linux-NTFS project was the current 2.4 module, but it seems I was wrong. Well, that's good, I guess (not that I use NTFS).

Linux User

NTFS resizing

Hi guys

I just found the article that got my point started in Linux Format (mag) it did a recent review (last month) of a few distros. The new mandrake handled resizing of an XP NTFS harddrive during the installation! Never used it but the mag is normally pretty good and errors generally get reported in the following issue.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast