Find the answer to your Linux question:
Installed Fedora 9 alongside existing Windows XP Pro on the same hard drive. Skipped the boot loader portion while installing, need to manually set it up now. I would prefer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question GRUB manual install and config question

Installed Fedora 9 alongside existing Windows XP Pro on the same hard drive. Skipped the boot loader portion while installing, need to manually set it up now. I would prefer using NTLDR for dual boot (came across a handy HOWTO guide for that). Need to figure out how to manually install grub to the first sector of linux boot partition.

So far I explored rescue mode little bit. did a 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'. ran fdisk and noted
    /dev/sda1 - primary NTFS partition
    /dev/sda3 - linux boot

There is no /boot/grub/grub.conf file. I realize it needs to be created as part of the grub setup. Appreciate all helpful responses.

Hi and Welcome !

You should have installed GRUB in Boot Sector of Fedora's root partition. Now, cerate grub.conf file manually and install GRUB in Boot Sector.
    Execute this
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    ls /boot
    Post output here.

BTW, Is there any reason for using Windows Boot Loader only? GRUB is one of the best boot loader.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

I re-installed Fedora this time installing Grub in the linux boot sector. I am now able to dual boot thru NTLDR. Reason to stick to NTLDR is to not give windows any excuse to hang/fail/crash on me. Once again thanks for your reesponse.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well Done !!
    Glad to help you ! Enjoy linux and keep posting !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First