Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i use slackware 10.Today i get 2 cd's of gentoo version 2004.1 (one live cd and another with packages) so with my friend we decided to install it to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

getoo installation

Hi i use slackware 10.Today i get 2 cd's of gentoo version 2004.1 (one live cd and another with packages) so with my friend we decided to install it to a computer he has.All went fine we followed the instructions in handbook but as we see it has a kernel 2.6.5 and 2.4.25.The default is 2.4.25 i think.Can we select 2.6.5 in installation?Also the live cd didn't find my frients network card via rhine.Can we modprobed it from the installation or when the installation completes we will try to get it work?

Linux Engineer
    You will be able to choose your kernel during installation. Also you'll be led through detecting the network card. The documentation on Gentoo is very good providing you follow it to the letter.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

oz
    forum.guy
    I had to modprobe my net-card to get it to work and then set it up manually.

Like Chris said, follow the handbook to the letter, and be sure you have it printed out before you start, or have another computer running close by so you can see the instructions as you go. If you do a stage 1 install along with a full destktop of KDE and/or Gnome, plan on spending lots of time with your friend.

Linux Newbie
    We followed stage 3 all went fine installed all the packages ok from the packages cd but we can't log into X.We manage to create a xfree86.conf now.Thanks for the help further news soon

Linux Engineer
    paulmedic555 i fixed it..now i have a problem with the nvidia drivers...
    i move to suse again!
    Linux For Ever!