Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have just sucessfully cloned a centos installation to a 250 gig drive. however only 80 gigs is showing up . how do i partition the rest of the space ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

250 gig drive not showing full capacity

i have just sucessfully cloned a centos installation to a 250 gig drive. however only 80 gigs is showing up . how do i partition the rest of the space so that it all adds up to the full drive capacity .Also, i want to add in another 80 gig drive for additional space. is this possible?

i have just sucessfully cloned a centos installation to a 250 gig drive. however only 80 gigs is showing up . how do i partition the rest of the space so that it all adds up to the full drive capacity
    Boot up CentOS and execute this in Terminal/Konsole :
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    Also, i want to add in another 80 gig drive for additional space. is this possible?
    Its possible and very easy. You have to mount partitions of other HD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    this is the output of fdisk -l

the new 250 gig disk is a sata, its a direct clone from an ide 80 gig.

Disk /dev/hdd: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdd1 * 1 14 112423+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdd2 15 9731 78051802+ 8e Linux LVM

Just Joined!
    i have mounted a new 80 gig drive , but i still have over 190 gigs of the 250 in unpartitioned space, how do i resolve this?

Linux Guru
    The OS may be confused by the cloned partition table on the new drive and think there are only 9731 cylinders.

I don't know what distro you have so I don't know what tools are available. I would fire up fdisk and see if you can create another partition on the back of the drive after the 2ND partition. If you can't, you'll need to correct the partition table so that it reflects the full drive capacity.

Edit: Based on your fdisk -l showing 30401 cylinders, you should be able to create another partition on the disk.

Just Joined!
    distro : centos 4.4

You can use parted to extend the partition. Actually, simply deleting the partition and creating a new one starting on very same sector will do, too. Afterward you need to expand the filesystem to fill the whole partition.

Just Joined!
    but i have data on the partition... how could i extend it without loosing my data

Boot up from PartedMagic LiveCD and check if it shows unformatted free space. PartedMagic and all other Partition Managers do not support LVM but you can create new partitions out of free space easily.
    Post screenshot of Partition Structure here, if possible.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First