Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hullo, Last night I started off with a fresh install of WinXP - my current choice for OS's, but I decided to divide the partitions and install Debian as well. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issue with dual-boot XP / Debian and no video..

Hullo,

Last night I started off with a fresh install of WinXP - my current choice for OS's, but I decided to divide the partitions and install Debian as well.

After installing XP, I started the Debian setup for the first time (I'm almost a complete Linux newbie). The setup went fine, and has been completed. At the end of setup, where it says something to the order of "Choose 'Ok' to proceed to login screen" or some such thing, I hit ENTER to choose it.. and lost video.

Rebooting gives me video in Dos, as well as Grub.. but after choosing my Debian partition, the linux bootup will reach a certain point, assumingly the point where it goes graphical, and my monitor loses video... as if someone had yanked the vga cord.

My video card is a GeForce FX5200, Athlon processor, and a nvdia chipset (i think). I tried moving the video cable to onboard video, but that did not help at all.

If I reboot, and then choose my WinXP partition... it boots just fine. No snags whatsoever.

So now i'm just sitting in XP doing updates and drivers... thinking (hoping) that Linux is somehow depending on me to install a geforce driver.. but I know that isn't the case, as it's completely stand-alone..

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I'm goin nuts!

Just Joined!
    Also, I do not know if it would make a difference - but I never got a prompt at all after choosing my linux partition.

During setup... I did not know the difference, and did not have the resources to check, between the video drivers... so i picked what it sat on by default.. which was.. VEGA(?)..

Do not know if that will help out much, but I hope so!

Linux User
    The driver you should choose is "nv"

Then X will work, but not use hardware acceleration. To use that, get the driver "nvidia" from www.nvidia.com
    --monkey