Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Since knoppix installation complained that it needs atleast 2 GB of disk space to install I fully formatted my harddisk and created 3 partitions one for windows as Primary DOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't Boot Linux From Hd After Installtion?

Since knoppix installation complained that it needs atleast 2 GB of disk space to install I fully formatted my harddisk and created 3 partitions one for windows as Primary DOS partition and one for linux as linux partition with size 2.5GB and one partion as linux swap drive with 300MB size.I did the command "IGNORE_CHECK sudo knoppix-installer" since without that ignore_check it was complaining that "The installer detected that the installation requirements are not fulfilled yet." And then installation was completed successfully.But when I restarted, it said "Checking for boot disk in IDE .... OK" and then weird thing of L 09 09 09 09 and even more 09s appeared and nothing happened Why is this?

Lilo did not install corretly you will need to reinstall it. Boot from the knoppix cd and bring up a shell, Mount the partition you installed knoppix to like so

Code:
    mount /dev/hda3 /mnt
    Replace hda3 with the partition you installed Knoppix to. Then type the following command to chroot into your system.

Code:
    chroot /mnt /bin/bash
    And now you should be in a new shell you are now inside your system as if you had booted it from start. Now just type

Code:
    /sbin/lilo
    To reinstall lilo then exit to return to the Knoppix system then reboot the machine if this doesnt work post back.

Just Joined!
    I did "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt" and it said
    mount: only root can do that
    And so I did, "sudo mount /dev/hda2 /mnt" and it said
    mount: error while guessing filesystem type.
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type.

hda1 is the windows partition and hda2 is my linux partition which I am trying to mount.So how to do that?
    I just tried to run lilo from root using "./lilo" and it said
    "Unrecognized token "! Please edit /etc/lilo.conf before running lilo ! at or above line 20 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'
    When I opened lilo using editor the following was there,

lba32
    boot=/dev/hda
    install=/boot/boot-menu.b
    backup=/dev/null
    map=/boot/map
    timeout=100
    vga=normal
    default=Knoppix

image=/vmlinuz
    append="lang=de apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix"
    root=/dev/hda5
    label=Knoppix
    read-write

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No that wont work since you didnt mount your partition you cannot access your files the files you are viewing are from the knoppix cd. What filesystem are you using? If you man mount you can see there is a switch for passing the filesystem type so just change the mount command like so
    Code:
    mount -t <FSTYPE> /dev/hda2 /mnt
    Replacing <FSTYPE> with the filesystem you are using. Then just follow the rest of my above post and chroot into your system then you will be able to access your lilo.conf do a man chroot for more info on chroot.

Just Joined!
    Giro before you said I did the following,

awww.. lot of problems

Actually I reformatted linux partition and installed Linux again but while booting this time something called as GNU GRUB version 094 occured with grub:> prompt. Before installing linux and even before writing partition table to disk I made Linux partition active and not the dos partition because it complained both primary partitions cant be active. And while installing linux this occured in shell,
    Cant remove /usr/share/applications/ ./Ethereal.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    And similar things also was displayed for EtherealAsRoot, qtparted.desktop, kxconfig.desktop
    warning: unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Fatal: APPEND or LITERAL may not contain "vga="

But I think these errors are not causing my problem, right? And it said Installation successfull but when I was watching that progressbar it didn't fully passed to 100% but still it said "Installation completed successfully".By that time it was doing mbr I think. But anyway when I restared that Grub was displayed.
    So again I tried booting from CD and then did the following steps, but not in the root directory but in the default dir after I opened a shell (i think its /ramdisk/knoppix)
    su
    mkdir /mnt/tmp
    mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/tmp
    And it displayed,
    mount: fs type ext3 not supported by kernel.
    But when I opened qtparted, hda2 is actually displayed as ext2 but here its saying it as ext3.I dont know whats happening

So please what could I do? Maybe shall I change my installation option to "Installation like that of LiveCD" instead of "Install to HD(preferred one)"
    I even tried creating linux partition using cfdisk as,
    Primary Linux ext3 partition (2600 MB) for type I entered 83
    Primary Linux swap partition(200 MB) for type I entered 82
    And there is other type also saying Linux extended type number is 85, maybe is this the right one?

No knoppix will have it as a module so just load the module using modprobe ext3 then issue the mount command and once its mounted chroot into your system and fix your bootloader.

Also what bootloader are you using grub or lilo?

Just Joined!
    Well I think lilo but I dont remember installation asking me which boot loader to install. But anyway should I just issue the command
    "modprobe ext3" ? Anyway I will try that out and post what happened.

Just Joined!
    I was able to mount using "modprobe ext3" and then I did "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt" then "chroot /mnt /bin/bash"
    So after entering into system I did "/sbin/lilo" and it displayed
    Warning: Unable to detect video adapter in use in the present system
    Fatal: APPEND or LITERAL may not contain "vga="
    Any ideas?

Just Joined!

sorry Giro I left one warning

And one more warning appeared when I tried to execute "lilo" command
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist, disk scan bypassed.
    So after this warning those other 2 warnings appeared.

Ok when you are chrooted into your system open /etc/lilo.conf and add this line above default=
    Code:
    vga=0x303
    This sets what screen resolution you will be using to 800x600 with 256colours it sounds like your system has trouble detecting your monitors resolution or something. And dont worry about the second error it isnt an error just a warning its appered cause you havent boot from your machines kernel so your /proc partition is empty this is not a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast