Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys i am new to this forums and i need help acctually i brought a new laptop and it has Linux grub and i dont know any thing about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how can change linux partition to Windows Xp file system

Hi Guys i am new to this forums and i need help acctually i brought a new laptop and it has Linux grub and i dont know any thing about linux all i need to install windows xp i put a Windows xp installations DvD its load the setup but when it comes to the harddisk step the setup says Windows did not find any hard disk so i think i need to change the MBR maybe. so plz all you Linux Gurus plz help me how can i remove linux partition and create NTFS for windows

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

If you have a SATA hard drive, you'll probably need to install the drivers for it at the beginning of the XP installation because the drivers are not included on the WinXP installation CD. If you can set your BIOS for PATA mode, you might be able to get XP installed that way.

Note that WinXP will also overwrite the bootloader, so you'll need to reinstall GRUB if you want to choose between Linux and Windows at boot time.
    oz

Just Joined!
    well i its a IDE not sata could you tell me that what if i use windows recovery console then type fixmbr cammand is it safe to do that because when i enter to Bios it datected it but when i enter the Setup its says no Harddisk found or incompatiable filesystem i just want to rid of this Linux and install Windows Xp

Linux Guru
    If you want to install xp it would seem sensible to me to look for a windows site? Here's one specifically dealing with what you want to do on a web page for a company called micro soft:

How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP

Just Joined!
    well thanks buddy i will try Fdisk ok tell me when i delete all partition from Fdisk then do i need to change MBR also

Linux Guru
    If your error message is "incompatible file system" and you delete all the partitions with fdisk you should have no problems installing xp. Windows OS's usually don't have any problems overwriting any previous mbr entry so I don't know why it would pose a problem in a new install.

If you do find that Windows will not install then try using the SuperGrub CD to replace Grub with generic Windows code in the MBR.

Just Joined!

Smile

Thank you all guys guess what i have installed Winxp its working fine. Now here what i have done just put Windows xp CD when it boot for it it ask me press R to go to recovery console i just go to recovery console then type the Fixmbr cammand and it works after returning back to setup i got a unknow partations i just delete it and then make only one partition with a NTFS filesystem bTW thanks again