Find the answer to your Linux question:
I might do the dual boot thing after all. The original plan was to have a home entertainment PC that ran on Ubuntu Linux only. However, I just found out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Joost/which approach to dual boot

I might do the dual boot thing after all. The original plan was to have a home entertainment PC that ran on Ubuntu Linux only. However, I just found out about this Joost thing that lets you watch TV on demand. That may make the dual boot thing worthwhile. Cable TV here is ridiculously expensive. It's at least $55 per month, and that's with just basic. Same deal with Satellite TV. I was paying $25 a month in my previous complex in another state. So Maybe this Joost thing is the answer. Just use it from my entertainment PC.

However, there's no version of Joost for Linux, !#$.

So if I go dual boot, I see a few ways I could do it (and this is on a PC I can wipe clean if I want to and start from the get-go.)
    1. Install Windows XP first and then use Partition Magic to create an ext3 partition. Then install Ubuntu on that.
    2. Install Ubuntu first and use Gparted to create an NTFS partition and then install Windows into that.
    3. Purchase an additional hard drive so that I can install each OS on its own physical hard drive. Do either option 1 or 2 this way.

What do you think? Or should I just wait for the browser-based version of Joost?

If you decide to put Windows on the system .... install Windows first ... its easier that way !

If you decide to go for a dual boot with two hard drives then keep your Linux hard drive as it is but unplug it when you do the Windows install on the new hard drive. That way in future you can unplug either drive and still have a bootable OS. Once you have done the Windows install reconnect the Linux drive and set the system to boot from it and add entries in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.