Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install Ubuntu, but for some reason when I boot it from the live CD, it is asking me for a password. I select the first option ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Login password on live CD?

I am trying to install Ubuntu, but for some reason when I boot it from the live CD, it is asking me for a password. I select the first option (Start or Install Ubuntu), then it boots up and asks me for a username and password. It won't work if I leave it blank either. Has this happened to anybody else, and how can I get past this so I can install it? This is a fresh live CD and shouldn't have any passwords or usernames attached to it. Thank you in advance for your help

Leonard

Are you sure you didn't download the OEM CD accidentally? The regular desktop LiveCD of Ubuntu shouldn't ask you for a password. Where did you get the CD, and what version of Ubuntu is it?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I got it from school. Our instructor gave them to us so we could install Ubuntu on the school computers. It didn't ask me for a password before, but of course when I installed it on the computer, I had to give a password and username for when I booted it from the school computer. (so I guess techinically it's not a fresh CD anymore). But the password and username were saved to the hard drive, not to the actual Live CD, right?
    It didn't ask me for a password when I booted it the first time. Did it save the password to the live CD?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Leosv View Post
    I got it from school. Our instructor gave them to us so we could install Ubuntu on the school computers. It didn't ask me for a password before, but of course when I installed it on the computer, I had to give a password and username for when I booted it from the school computer. (so I guess techinically it's not a fresh CD anymore). But the password and username were saved to the hard drive, not to the actual Live CD, right?
    That is correct. There is no physical way for anything to be saved onto that disc once it's been burned and finalized. You should get the same prompt every time, or no prompt every time. Did you perhaps choose a different boot option accidentally?

It didn't ask me for a password when I booted it the first time. Did it save the password to the live CD?
    No.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I just talked to somebody from class that used the same disc that was handed out and he was able to install it with no issues. I will try it again and report back.

Just Joined!
    well, it worked. I don't know what the heck option I went to before because now I cannot recreate the screen that asked me for a password. Weird. Thanks for your help!!