Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey gang, I purchased this model laptop when it was on sale for $699. Sweet deal for a 17" screen and numeric keypad. Anyway it came preloaded with Windows Vista ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to get Ubuntu installed on this laptop

Hey gang,

I purchased this model laptop when it was on sale for $699. Sweet deal for a 17" screen and numeric keypad. Anyway it came preloaded with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit (which I upgraded to Ultimate 32-bit). I immediately wanted to create a dual-boot system so I went out and dl'd Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9 (both 64 and 32 bit) just to have a couple distros. Everything checked out the iso was fine the discs burned fine. I was even able to get the Ubuntu Live CD to run but it would not install. The installation process wouldn't even initialize. I'll come back and post details as soon as I dig up the disc and run it again. I had the same problem with Fedora. I could not install in on this laptop.

I was able to get both of these distributions to run in a virtual machine using Sun's VirtualBox software and they ran great but dual-boot was not happening. I even tried Ubuntu's feature of "installing" the OS into Windows but that also failed.

The specs of the laptop are Intel Centrino Dual Core 1.83Ghz T5550
    BIOS Insyde v1.10 2/26/2008
    Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset
    200GB hard drive
    3GB of RAM

It seems to me like all the pieces should be there to make it work. Any thoughts, suggestions, questions are welcome.

Hi tsb278, I've moved this off to a new thread for you. How did you burn the disc? Did you burn it as an image or did you extract it and burn it as a data disc?

Sweet rig too by the way

Just Joined!
    Thanks!!! I like it. Performs great.

I burned the disc as an image. I've burned and installed other distros on other PCs in the past so this isn't my first foray but intalling on this laptop has been less than fun.

Execute sudo fdisk -l command in Terminal of Ubuntu LiveCD. Does it display correct partition structure of your Harddisk?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Got it done

Hey gang,

Sorry I disappeared for a bit. My daughter was born and so I've been busy with that. After sometime I downloaded another ISO which turned out to but Ubuntu 8.04.1 and I as able to load this flawlessly. I'm not sure what they've changed since the initial release but I'm glad I was able to get it done.

I plan on tackling Fedora 9 next as I prefer that distro over Ubuntu. If I have any problems I'll be sure to come back to these forums for help.

Again thanks for the replies.