Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Acer Aspire laptop with a measly 60gb HD partitioned into 10gb Windoze and 50gb data. I bought a 80gb USB drive and installed PCLinuxOS and used GRUB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on USB drive

I have an Acer Aspire laptop with a measly 60gb HD partitioned into 10gb Windoze and 50gb data. I bought a 80gb USB drive and installed PCLinuxOS and used GRUB to boot either Linux or win. The problem was when the USB drive wasn't plugged in GRUB couldn't find menu.lst (on the USB) to boot. I then re sized the 50gb partition and installed Ubuntu which also picked up the other Linux and used it's own menu.lst on the internal HD so at least I could boot it or windoze without the USB drive. The problem now is I need the Ubuntu room back for my windoze partition and as a consequence have had to remove GRUB and now can't boot PCLinux on the USB drive. How can I boot Linux when the USB drive is plugged in or win at other times.
    Thanks for any help.
    Alan.

Just Joined!
    Set your boot menu/boot order in the BIOS to check the usb before it checks for the hard drive.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bri_guy View Post
    Set your boot menu/boot order in the BIOS to check the usb before it checks for the hard drive.
    Nope, can't be done. BIOS options only CD ROM or HD, no USB..

Cheers,
    Alan.

It sounds like your motherboard doesn't support booting from USB. You might be able to find a boot utility like SmartBootManager to do the trick, but I'm not sure if SMB itself supports USB booting.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    It sounds like your motherboard doesn't support booting from USB. You might be able to find a boot utility like SmartBootManager to do the trick, but I'm not sure if SMB itself supports USB booting.
    Red Face mode on.. Seems if the USB drive is plugged in when in the BIOS setup it is an option. OK so now I just get a GRUB error. I guess I need to re write the GRUB because the menu.lst file is gone. Any ideas? I have re written the laptops MBR to boot straight to win now and with the USB drive in and trying to boot from it I just get the GRUB error.
    Cheers,
    Alan.