Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone, my first posting to this forum, hope someone can assist me. I am running a desktop m/c, with tower in which I have 3 separate hard drives. First ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installation of Linux Distro's

hello everyone, my first posting to this forum, hope someone can assist me.

I am running a desktop m/c, with tower in which I have 3 separate hard drives. First hard drive is 40GB ntfs with Windows XP installed.

2nd hard drive is 120gb running windows xp with sp3 installed, with 75gb spare capacity.

3rd hard drive is 20gb with mandriva 2008 free installed. What I would like to do (if possible) is to install Suse 11 on my second hard drive in the spare 75 gig space. What I am not sure of is this: The grub bootloader of Mandriva will automatically display splash screen showing available systems I can boot into, but if I install Suse 11 what will the bootloader show when I boot up or will I have to re-install Mandriva again or indeed re-install Windows again: which bootloader will take priority? Sorry if this is a bit long winded but cannot think of a quicker way to describe the situation. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums postmanpat16940

You can install openSUSE to the second hard drive but select install grub bootloader to the SUSE root partition. You should be able to add an entry to the existing grub menu to load openSUSE after the install. The two versions of Linux can share the swap partition, need separate root partitions and are better off having separate home partitions. If you need further help with this post the output of
    Code:
    su
    fdisk -l

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    ...You should be able to add an entry to the existing grub menu to load openSUSE after the install...
    To accomplish the above you can do something like this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ub-basics.html

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close