Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I'm looking for any opinions or feedback you may have about this particular topic... I just graduated college with a B.S. in Computer Information Systems and, this fall, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advice on dual boot (vista and ubuntu)

Hey all,

I'm looking for any opinions or feedback you may have about this particular topic...

I just graduated college with a B.S. in Computer Information Systems and, this fall, I am going for my Master's in Software Engineering. I have always worked with Windows, but also have novice - intermediate-level knowledge of linux.

I have a new ThinkPad T61 (4gb RAM, 80gb HD, Intel Core 2 Duo) that is currently running Vista. I know how to go about setting up a dual-boot of Vista and Ubuntu, but should I? Is it worth it? I considered the idea of running Ubuntu as a virtual machine, but Vista is already so resource-heavy.

Vista reports that the total size of my C:\ (before a shrink) is 69891 MB and the size of available shrink space is 21201 MB. (So, 48690 MB after a shrink).

I'll be using my laptop for the next two years as a graduate student (with a graduate assistantship in the Computing Sciences Dept). I figure it's always good to learn as much linux as possible. Like I said, I just want to know if it's worth it, as i don't want to screw up a brand new laptop (as I always have my 4-year old Dell Inspiron XPS with no battery life and loud as heck fans).

Thanks!

I'd say Yes -- go for it!

With linux, you can always "try before you buy", by booting up a liveCD. This is a linux system that runs directly off the CD, and won't touch your harddrive at all. If you like it, then go ahead and install it.

The linux installer should setup the dual boot for you, but make sure to read the partition setup it suggests carefully -- you don't want it to blow away your Vista installation.... (or do you? )
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Heh the only reason I have Vista is because I have to teach Computer Literacy labs to incoming freshmen (who all will have Vista)!

But thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I will give the liveCD a try.