Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to get Step by step information of installation of RHEL 5 in a computer which already has windows xp in C drive and having 4 partition(total)....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink Step by step installation of REEL 5 in a computer already have windows xp in C drive

Hi,

I want to get Step by step information of installation of RHEL 5 in a computer which already has windows xp in C drive and having 4 partition(total).

Hi,

From the 4 partitions, are you planning to use them to install RHEL5, if not you must have free space.
    Check this great tutorial for how to install RHEL 5.2, the guy uses CentOS 5.2, which is exactly the same as RHEL 5.2, but it's free.
    The Perfect Server - CentOS 5.2 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Cheers,

Hi and Welcome !

RedHat installation is very easy and dual boot is default in all Linux Distros. Linux installer will detect Windows OS and setup dual boot for you.
    You have to create free space or partitions before starting installation. I would suggest you to boot up from PartedMagic LiveCD, shrink existing partition(s) and create two new partitions.

1. ext3, allocate as much space as you can, 10-15GB is recommended for Desktop machine.
    2. SWAP, 512MB is enough if you have 512MB or more RAM.

Start RHEL installation and assign / mount point to ext3 partition. Installer will detect SWAP and setup dual boot itself.

In case you have any confusion, execute fdisk -l command in Terminal of PartedMagic LiveCD and post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close