Find the answer to your Linux question:
Some one gave me an older Windows machine and I had to put a hard drive into it. It is formatted and partitioned with nothing on it. I plan on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing off download to new drive; With a twist

Some one gave me an older Windows machine and I had to put a hard drive into it. It is formatted and partitioned with nothing on it. I plan on installing Ubuntu 6.0.6. My only way to download the distro is thru my iMac. The files come in as iso's,
    and I have been trying to use Discribe to format a readable CD to boot off of. I've tried 3 different writing schemes thru Discribe and the last, a Mac/Iso hybrid, did nothing when inserted in the computer for start up. I've also opened the iso and copied that to a CD with no results. So what is the bios looking for? Do I have to install DOS to get this thing running thru a file upload? The computer is a Dell that originally had a service edition of 98 on it but I don't have the disk. can you help with the procedure?

Just Joined!
    Btw, the Discribe program came with my Iomega CD burner and is obviously setup for Mac.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can check this HowTo for properly downloading and burning an ISO file to the blank CD as an image:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Hope all goes well for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the link. I did as noted and came up with isolinux not being able to find the CD-Rom device and boot failing. Any ideas? The CD-Rom btw is labeled as "B" drive and not "D" as in most computers. Noting that this is a 166Mhz machine running a Pentium MMX processor and would probably have run Windows 98 originally. Thx.

P.S. The CD is first in the boot sequence.

Just Joined!
    One other thing that was mentioned and flew past me was that the specifications packet failed. Maybe this was the reason the CD-Rom wasn't found.