Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I had Windows Vista and Suse linux 10.2 on my machine. While trying to install the Suse linux 11, i encountered some error and was not able to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding Windows Vista entry in grub for dual boot

Hi,

I had Windows Vista and Suse linux 10.2 on my machine. While trying to install the Suse linux 11, i encountered some error and was not able to install it - thereby not being able to boot into Vista.

I then fellback on Suse linux 10.1 and was able to install it successfully.

But I am not getting the entry for Windows Vista while booting. I have tried to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, but am getting the following error when trying to use the Vista option when using the bot options:

Booting 'Windows Vista Ultimate'

rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    savedefault

Error 15: file not found

I have edited the menu.lst file as follows:
    title Windows Vista ultimate
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

I have verified that the windows partitions exist, and have tried with different hd0 combinations, but i keep getting this error.

Kindly suggest if there is any way i can boot into my windows as i do not want to loose my data.

Just Joined!

Dual Booting Vista

Hi cecatecean, SuSE has an application that repairs the boot loader. Just insert the installtion DVD into your machine.
    Boot from CD. Then select the ugrade option. Then choose the bootloader repair. from a list.
    If the data is vital and you can boot with SuSE. I advice you muont your partitions and backup the data.

Hi and Welcome !

Post the output of fdisk -l command and contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst file here.
    Code:
    su -
    /sbin/fdisk -l
    less /boot/grub/menu.lst
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close