Find the answer to your Linux question:
SATA drive not recognised during installation of Mandrakelinux 10.0 AMD 64, just purchased original retail version. I was under the impression that, unlike 9.x, 10.0 was SATA compatible. Any solution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux 10.0 & SATA

SATA drive not recognised during installation of Mandrakelinux 10.0 AMD 64, just purchased original retail version. I was under the impression that, unlike 9.x, 10.0 was SATA compatible. Any solution to the problem? Here is my config :
    - CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    - Motherboard: Gigabyte K8S760M
    - Chipset: SIS 760, AMD hammer
    - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80013AS

Linux Engineer
    sata compatibility depends on kernel version...kernels over 2.6.x have sata support...what kernel do you have and have you checked to activate the controller from bios?
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    The add says : "Mandrakelinux 10.0 for AMD64 Benefits:
    Faster with higher Performance : Kernel 2.6 Full - Support for AMD 64-bit architecture which is on average 20% faster than traditional 32-bit systems". Now that I have installed the package on a regular IDE drive, where do I find the particulars of the Kernel ? (sorry for my ignorance but I am newly migrating to Linux..)
    Yes, the SATA controller in the bios is enabled...
    Thanks for the help.
    Joel

Linux Engineer
    go to /usr/src/linux and type in an konsole window make xconfig..you can select then the right modules (sata support ) for kernel..
    then recompile the kernel and halt.put the sata hard drive and boot your pc..it should work..
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your tip. I am out of station for a week and will work on this as soon as I get back.