Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by yancek If you have difficulty recovering your data, you might try googling for SystemRescueCD and using it if you are able to do that. Also, make sure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    If you have difficulty recovering your data, you might try googling for SystemRescueCD and using it if you are able to do that. Also, make sure to install vista on a primary partition as a windows OS will not boot from a logical partition unless you have another windows OS on a primary. You have two ntfs partitions and I'm not sure if they are both vista. If not, install vista after the other windows OS, if there is one, or you will be unable to boot vista.
    I only have Vista (NTFS) and Fedora ... HAD ! Trying to repair Vista again atm , it seems to be responding to another Windows Vista DVD than the one I installed it from ...

After I deleted the Fedora partitions , it all seems to work ... Managed to repair those things in CMD :

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot

and now I get BOOTMGR is missing. CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. I`m trying to repair the whole windows installation

Will be back with updates

Linux Guru
    Glad you're making progress. The Bootmgr is missing is a serious problem as the files Bootmgr.exe, Winload.exe, Winresume.exe are replacement files for the old ntloader. Generally, the two commands you issued should fix the mbr for vista. Part of the problem may be that you did not have the vista partition marked as active and I believe that is necessary.

Having never used vista, not sure what your next steps should be but I found this site which has some possible solutions. I would suggest reading through the whole thing before trying anything as there are different options, some of which seem to work and some not? .
    Vista Tip: Repair "BOOTMGR is missing" error

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2