Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I m new to linux and trying to instll fedora. I have win XP and want to keep it. I have a single hard drive 160 G and have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Help installing fedora

Hi I m new to linux and trying to instll fedora. I have win XP and want to keep it. I have a single hard drive 160 G and have 4 partitions. Amongst them, (I drive is empty and want to install here. I get scared when I see the partition screen during installation . Dont know what to do? pls help

Just Joined!
    I recommend copy your important files and so if something happens, not lost files.

After installing fedora but never problems.

I screen lost a partition, i recommend Wuby. Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by abhi_elementx View Post
    Hi I m new to linux and trying to instll fedora. I have win XP and want to keep it. I have a single hard drive 160 G and have 4 partitions. Amongst them, (I:) drive is empty and want to install here. I get scared when I see the partition screen during installation . Dont know what to do? pls help
    Make sure your I: partition is completely empty and unformatted. You can do this using the "Computer Management" program in the "Administrative Tools" menu in XP. Be very careful that you only mess with your I: partition!!

Basically, you just need to delete the I partition completely. Right click on it to get this option. You'll now have free space at the end of your drive. Boot with the Fedora disc and when you get to the Partitioning stage you should see an option to "Use existing free space." All this does is toss Linux into that free area you created at the end of your drive. Your Windows partition should be detected and you'll have an option to boot from it when Fedora is done installing.

If all of that sounds a bit scary (I don't blame you) I would also recommend downloading Wubi. It basically lets you install a version of Linux (Ubuntu) onto your existing XP harddrive without any partitioning. If you end up not liking it, you can uninstall it later with Add/Remove programs and no harm is done to your harddrive. The downside is that right now Ubuntu is the only distribution you can install with Wubi.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close