Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I bought a scsi drive recently with intent to install another os, freeBSD. I presently have two IDE drives with Wins XP & Fedora running on each. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to recognize the scsi drive

Hi all,

I bought a scsi drive recently with intent to install another os, freeBSD. I presently have two IDE drives with Wins XP & Fedora running on each. The scsi drive can be configured and recognized by XP and Fedora during normal operation. But when I started to boot the freeBSD installation disk, this scsi drive couldnt be located. I tried using Fedora boot disk but with same symptom. Can someone help to advise what I should do to fix this out as I really want to try to run either Fedora/freeBSD on a scsi iso ide drive.

Thanks in advance.

rgds/kennethckk

Linux Guru
    This is my best shot:
    When does SCSI get initialized? On my system, the SCSI card has its own BIOS that runs after the system BIOS, but before control is handed to the hard drive or CD. If your SCSI isn't initialized in this way, then it won't be able to boot until an OS runs a driver. I hope this helps.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Hi Drakebasher,

Tks for your info.
    Mine is the same as yours. The scsi has its own bios and was coming out right after the sys board bios. The scsi scan config indicated that the hard drive is with ID1 whilist disk controller is ID7 . ( Why scsi treats my hard drive ID1 instead of ID0 ?? It looks that it reserves for scsi CD-Rom , I guess !!! Am I correct ??? )

I guess my scsi controller needs a Scsi - type Cd-rom where it reserves ID0 for it as I always see the following message displaying on screen but with no response whenever I typed in Control- B

*** Press control- I to config the scsi disk ****
    *** Press control- B to boot scsi from CD-ROM ****

I assume that I cant boot it from IDE CD-rom unless I really get a SCSI type CD-ROM connected.

For the time being, I put this on hold and have my freeBSD installed in another PC.

Cheers/kennethckk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I'm pretty sure that there is no drive 0 in SCSI. You can assign the ID's to your SCSI devices per your preference, with jumpers or switches on the device. It's customary to assign ID 7 to the controller and I think there is a good reason for it originating with wide and narrow SCSI channels. The SCSI ID is not related to either GRUB or Linux ID's. I have drives with ID's 1,4 and 6 with my controller at 7. The drives are seen by Linux as sda, sdb and sdc. GRUB sees sda as hd1 because I boot from my one and only IDE hard drive, so that's hd0.

That's all I've got to offer. I have both Fedora Core 1 and Mandrake 9.2 installed on a SCSI drive and I installed using a CD in my IDE CDROM, so I don't know why this doesn't work for you.

I have seen just recently that some IDE CDROMs emulate SCSIs or something like that.(?)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better