Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running a dual-boot sytem with XP and RH9. The problem I am having is when RH is idle for a while (~30 mins), it stalls my computer and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat 9 power problem

I am running a dual-boot sytem with XP and RH9. The problem I am having is when RH is idle for a while (~30 mins), it stalls my computer and it won't 'wake up' without me restarting it. I have configured all the screen saver settings and that did not seem to help.

Linux Guru
    Is this a laptop or a desktop system?

Just Joined!
    desktop

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Would you happen to know if the motherboard is ACPI or APM based?

Just Joined!
    The motherboard is APM based and I disabled the settings in the BIOS that allow for the motherboard to go into standby. I will see if this works tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Linux Guru
    It might be a BIOS bug. Would you mind recompiling your kernel to compensate for it?

Just Joined!
    I don't mind, but I don't know how. Plus, I have the dual - boot surrepitiously installed on my work computer (I borrowed Admin rights to do it) so I guess I will just have to see if this little fix works. Does recompiling have any chance of damaging other stuff? I will also study up on it to see how to do it. I am, after all, just a newbie.

Linux Guru
    Recompiling has very little chance of destroying anything. Just remember to keep your old kernel in case the new one doesn't work. There's a good kernel compiling HOWTO at http://www.tldp.org/. It was updated only a week ago, so I'd say it's pretty likely to be up-to-date. Just install the kernel-source package from your installation CDs.
    While configuring the kernel, the option I want you to enable is "Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls", under General Setup. You could also try to disable APM support alltogether and see if that helps.

Linux Guru
    If you dont want to go down the recompile route, and you dont really need the power saving feature, then:

1) Disable Power Management in your systems bios
    2) edit your Grub / Lilo config file to pass "apm=off" to the kernel at boot time.

That *should* work around the problem.

Jason