Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, My name is Simon,I live in Melbourne Australia. I am new to Linux and would like to learn how to use Ubuntu, and hopefully install it as a dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile New to Linux Duel boot Question

Hello, My name is Simon,I live in Melbourne Australia. I am new to Linux and would like to learn how to use Ubuntu, and hopefully install it as a dual boot setup on my new laptop which is running Vista at the moment. I have owned pc's for the past 20 years and I have not had the courage to switch from the security of "yes" you guessed it Windows; to a command line driven OS. When I started out there wasn't the help there is now.

You wonderful people who give up your time and are willing to share your knowledge with those less gifted like myself and most times expect nothing more than a thank you in return. I would feel proud to belong to a group of people willing to do what you do.

What I would like to know is can I install Ubuntu on my laptop as a dual boot setup and what do i have to do. Do i need to make or format a separate partition or will UB do that when I run the installation. I am just a little concerned as it is a new laptop and I am not all that familiar with Vista or Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and any recommendations for command line entry would help too. Thank you and I look forward to a new and interesting journey. Simon Lavallin

Welcome to the forums skooby

You can probably install and use Ubuntu using the command line interface fairly infrequently ... there are one or two things it is likely to come in handy for though.

You can dual boot Ubuntu with Windows in two ways ... the first (also possible with other versions of Linux) is to create a partition for Linux on the hard drive, the second method is a Wubi install when Linux is installed and uninstalled like other Windows applications. You can also just run Linux from a live CD which does not install anything on your hard disk.

The choice is yours ... my view of the three methods:-
    traditional dual boot needs to have disk partition changed, should give best performance (is the install I use)
    Wubi install probably a middle ground, should be easy to install and remove, does not need disk partitions to be changed
    live CD slow to run, settings not saved, minimal risk of problems with your Windows system because nothing is installed

You will find lots of information on Ubuntu on the website, including this

Hope this helps ...

Linux Newbie
    If you choose the classic install be sure to backup your important data first, just in case something goes wrong (power failure for example).
    Then make 3 partitions. 1024mb type linux swap, 10-20gb type ext3 mount point / and as much as you want type ext3 mount point /home
    Your movies, documents and songs are stored to /home.
    Also you will need to resize the vista partition. So before the installation of Ubuntu do a defragmentation in vista. In linux you will never need to defragment your disks!
    Good luck and have fun!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home