Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hello all! Well, I decided to undertake a challenge and install CRUX 2.4 on my old dinosaur of a box, and following not only the CRUX Handbook but also Dapper_Dan's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] CRUX install problem

Hello all!

Well, I decided to undertake a challenge and install CRUX 2.4 on my old dinosaur of a box, and following not only the CRUX Handbook but also Dapper_Dan's extremely helpful How-to, I've actually gotten through the initial installation. Now there's just one little issue...

I seem to be unable to obtain a dynamic IP address from my modem (no router involved). I can ping my loopback address so at least I know that the NIC was not only detected, but is also enabled. I'm hoping for a bit of help here, cuz after putting it off for a while, I'm really chomping at the bit here to try out this highly touted distro!

Here is my /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information
    #
    # <file system>        <dir>     <type>    <options>              <dump> <pass>

#/dev/#REISERFS_ROOT#  /         reiserfs   defaults               0      0
    /dev/#EXT3FS_ROOT#     /         ext3        defaults               0      1
    #/dev/#XFS_ROOT#           /         xfs       defaults               0      0
    #/dev/#SWAP#                  swap      swap      defaults               0      0
    #/dev/#REISERFS_HOME#  /home     reiserfs  defaults               0      0
    /dev/#EXT3FS_HOME#     /home     ext3      defaults               0      2
    #/dev/#XFS_HOME#           /home     xfs       defaults               0      0
    #/dev/cdrom                       /cdrom    iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide  0      0
    /dev/dvd    /mnt/dvd  udf       ro,user,noauto,unhide  0      0
    #/dev/floppy/0                    /floppy   vfat      user,noauto,unhide     0      0
    devpts                  /dev/pts  devpts    defaults               0      0
    none                                   /sys      sysfs     defaults               0      0
    none                                   /proc     proc      defaults               0      0
    tmp                                     /tmp      tmpfs     defaults               0      0
    shm                                  /dev/shm  tmpfs     defaults               0      0
    usb            /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults               0      0

# End of file
    And my /etc/rc.d/net
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # /etc/rc.d/net: start/stop network
    #

case $1 in
    start)
        # loopback
        /sbin/ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 dev lo broadcast + scope host
        /sbin/ip link set lo up
        # ethernet
        /sbin/dhcpcd -t 10 -h $HOSTNAME eth0
        ;;
    stop)
        /usr/bin/killall -q /sbin/dhcpcd
        /sbin/ip link set lo down
        /sbin/ip addr del 127.0.0.1/8 dev lo
        ;;
    restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
    *)
        echo "usage: $0 [start|stop|restart]"
        ;;
    esac

# End of file
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Lightbulb Update

Well, I got my dynamic IP address. Turns out I had to edit my /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.d/net a little further, shown here:
    Change this
    Code:
    /dev/#EXT3FS_ROOT#     /         ext3        defaults               0      1
    /dev/#EXT3FS_HOME#     /home     ext3      defaults               0      2
    to this:
    Code:
    /dev/hdb1     /         ext3        defaults               0      1
    /dev/hdb2    /home     ext3      defaults               0      2
    I also had to change my HOSTNAME in /etc/rc.d/net. Have ran
    Code:
    ports -u
    to update all default software. Now I'll start working on getting a DE and Window Manager going.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I'm suprised you got anything out of the system without valid fstab entry for root. By the way have you added an entry for swap as well?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yeah, I have a swap partition on the first hard drive (/dev/hda). So, I just left the default from /etc/fstab as such
    Code:
    #/dev/#SWAP#                  swap      swap      defaults               0      0
    Right now, my speed-bump is going to be getting used to the package manager.
    Last edited by jayd512; 09-03-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Did I miss something? your last post looks to have a commented out entry for swap ... does free report any swap available with the default value?

Actually, I haven't checked that. I'm at work right now so it'll have to wait til tonight before I can check.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

jay512, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Depending on your ram, you might not even need to use swap. I haven't used swap in years on most of my newer boxes as ram is sufficient. Try having swap on or off and see which works best for you.

Are you using ports or prt-get? I'd say a good choice for now would be to use yapo so you can familiarise yourself with the different ports and packages. Here's my /etc/prt-get.conf for comparrison:
    Code:
    ### prt-get conf
    ###

# note: the order matters: the package found first is used
    prtdir /usr/ports/core
    prtdir /usr/ports/opt
    prtdir /usr/ports/xorg
    prtdir /usr/ports/contrib
    prtdir /usr/ports/rehabdoll
    prtdir /usr/ports/ecarux
    prtdir /usr/ports/yhafri
    prtdir /usr/ports/han
    prtdir /usr/ports/hnc
    prtdir /usr/ports/sepen

# the following line enables the user maintained contrib collection
    #prtdir /usr/ports/contrib

### use mypackage form local directory
    # prtdir /home/packages/build:mypackage

### log options:
    # writelog enabled         # (enabled|disabled)
    # logmode  overwrite       # (append|overwrite)
    # rmlog_on_success yes     # (no|yes)
    logfile  /var/log/pkgbuild/%n.log
                               # path, %p=path to port dir, %n=port name
                               #       %v=version, %r=release

### use alternate cache file (default: /var/lib/pkg/prt-get.cache
    # cachefile /mnt/nfs/cache

### print README information:
    # readme verbose           # (verbose|compact|disabled)

### prefer higher versions in sysup / diff
    # preferhigher no      # (yes|no)

### use regexp search
    # useregex no        # (yes|no)

### run pre- and post-installs scripts; yes is equivalent to the
    ### --install-scripts option
    runscripts yes            # (no|yes)

### EXPERT SECTION ###

### alternative commands
    # makecommand      pkgmk
    # addcommand       pkgadd
    # removecommand    pkgrm
    # runscriptcommand sh
    Notice, I have no ports for Gnome or KDE which of course you can add. There is a port for XFCE too. This time, I just wanted to build a KDE and Gnome free system. Or at least as free as I could get.

Take your time with it and enjoy the learning process. prt-get and setting up ports is a little intimidating to start off with, but once you get it going, it will all come together.

Let me know if I can help.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Awesome! Thanks for that, Dan!
    Don't worry, you'll be seeing updates from me on my project. I'll be looking into my /etc/prt-get.conf a little later tonight.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Question...

Just a bit of a question here... I noticed you said that there is a port for XFCE... do I need to add a port to install IceWM? Or will I just be able to execute (after editing /etc/prt-get.conf )
    Code:
    prt-get depinst icewm
    *EDIT*

By the way, what (in your opinion) are some of the pros and cons of yapo vs. prt-get?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Just a bit of a question here... I noticed you said that there is a port for XFCE... do I need to add a port to install IceWM? Or will I just be able to execute (after editing /etc/prt-get.conf )
    Code:
    prt-get depinst icewm
    Aside from core, opt and contrib, the different ports will have differnt packages they maintain, although there is a great deal of overlap. All are of course voluntary and include the packages and apps they particularly want to offer. Some maintain just a few ports, while others like yhafri maintain thousands. You'll have to add the port that maintains IceWM and its themes which are the "han" port so you'd need to add that. Simply download han.httpup, place it in the /etc/ports directory with the others, do:
    Code:
    prt-get update
    ...to download and update all the package information on the han ports. Then it's:
    Code:
    prt-get depinst icewm icewm-themes
    By the way, what (in your opinion) are some of the pros and cons of yapo vs. prt-get?
    yapo is a ruby - ncurses front end for ports. Just gives you a good visual and is also good for searching while prt-get is straight command line only. Very much like the difference between straight apt-get and aptitude in Debian. I use both depending on what I want to do. For instance, I'll search for packages and check out there dependencies using yapo, then install it with prt-get depinst. prt-get is like Gentoo emerge in that most of the time, packages will install solving dependencies without incident. However, there will be some that will be head scratchers and you have to figure out why it won't compile. This is where you'll learn a great deal...

All in all, I personally think CRUX is one of the finest and most unique advanced distros out there. It's so very fast! With its alluring simplicity, it baffles me why more folks don't use it.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast