Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi... I am running Vector Linux 5.9 and would like to try out Xubuntu 8.04.1, but I do not have any other CD's to make a livecd, so I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing from ISO without CD?

Hi...

I am running Vector Linux 5.9 and would like to try out Xubuntu 8.04.1, but I do not have any other CD's to make a livecd, so I was wondering how could I go about doing this?

I am not worried about loosing Vector, I have it on CD if I ever decide to keep it, the hd which I am installing everything to is just a simple 20gb hard drive and I use it for testing programs etc without worrying about messing up my main hd's...I'm only in the process of looking over the different systems to figure out which one would be best suited for me...

Oh, I should also explain that this HD is formatted with the ext2 option. So I presume I wouldn't have to reformat my drive, then I could store all the ISO files on it without having to worry about loosing them...Hopefully anyway, ...

Thanks...

oz
    forum.guy
    Check out unetbootin to see if it would work for you:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok, I downloaded it, but it's only in binary format. What I found seems like I need to download a program which would let me use windows on linux...So I have one extra question...

Since I am probably going to download at least 2 linux systems until I find one that I'd like to keep, if by chance that I will download any more than that, will I have to install all these programs over and over and over again?

Hopefully that's not the case, that would get kind of annoying...Is there no way to do it from the shell? Or at least a simple install onto the HD? As I said, I'm not worried about messing up this HD...If needs be, I can reformat it...I'd rather not, but eh, if I have to I have to...

However, if I'm missing that one site that explains that I don't need anything extra, then where is it at?

Thanks...

Just Joined!
    You can mount the iso with `mount -o loop -t iso9660 /xxx/yyy.iso /media/iso` where xxx is the path and yyy is the name. You can then copy the mounted files onto an empty partition. Then update your bootloader to point to the partition with the boot image files (ie kernel and initrd). If all else fails you can use `grub-install` but you might loss your bootloader MBR. All this will do is let you boot the partition like its a live cd (ie no write permissions).

And one more thing, try looking into a usb stick install of the iso, works 100x faster

Just Joined!
    I've already looked into USB, but unfortunately, this computer won't let me boot from it...

I do have a DSL liveCD though...I'm trying to figure out how to get the wireless USB adapter to work in it, as well as the ability to access my hd. I figure if I can do it all from there, then I could just use that disk to change from one system to another.

On bootup, DSL says that my ethernet card gets loaded, but not my wireless USB...So I guess I ought to learn what hotplug is and figure out how to get it running. That is if it's possible...

Just Joined!
    Hey, how about this...

I have another computer with windows Vista on it, how about I get a program, I'm sure there is one, that will install onto a USB.
    Then I could run DSL from the CD and use an installer on the USB to install from there? That is if the USB works...Sheesh, maybe I'll remember to check on that...

Anyway, would that work?

Just Joined!
    linux usb wireless is not well supported by the makers, there are a few drivers out there for some. DSL is nothing like Xubuntu and a serious step into system fundamentals. Everything I said will work off your current OS, windows is not required.

Just Joined!
    Ok...

Well, that means I better reformat my hd then...I created only 3 partitions, 1 for swap, 1 for root, and 1 for users...and none of them are empty...

Oh well...

Thanks...