Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a computer with XP already on there on one harddrive and then I would like to put a 20GB in there just for Suse 9.1 so I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help with dual booting xp/suse9.1

I have a computer with XP already on there on one harddrive and then I would like to put a 20GB in there just for Suse 9.1 so I would have a harddrive for each operating system.

The SUSE is on a DVD-rom and my computer doesnt have a dvd reader so could I install the linux onto the 20GB harddrive with another computer that has a dvd reader and then plug the harddrive in to my orginal computer and get it to dual boot successfully?

and if so what would I have to do to get it to that point?

Thanks

Re: need help with dual booting xp/suse9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Diiblo
    I have a computer with XP already on there on one harddrive and then I would like to put a 20GB in there just for Suse 9.1 so I would have a harddrive for each operating system.
    It *can* work, but you'll have to pay special attention to how your bootloader for Linux is configured. If you don't pass in exactly the right parameters to GRUB or LILO, it won't be able to boot to the MS Windows drive. As long as the boot loader is on the MS Windows drive, however, you shouldn't have any trouble.

The SUSE is on a DVD-rom and my computer doesnt have a dvd reader so could I install the linux onto the 20GB harddrive with another computer that has a dvd reader and then plug the harddrive in to my orginal computer and get it to dual boot successfully?
    The only problem with this is that you'll need SuSE to write a bootloader into the Master Boot Record of your main (MS Win) harddrive. This is normally done during the installation, or using the install CD afterward, but since you can't run the install CD on your target computer, this won't work.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants