Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux (and to these boards) so please don't mind my n00bishness. I recently installed RedHat 9, but am finding it very difficult to install additional components. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing 'Development Tools' - RedHat 9

I'm new to Linux (and to these boards) so please don't mind my n00bishness.

I recently installed RedHat 9, but am finding it very difficult to install additional components.
    It was recommended to me that I stay away from RPMs, and grab tar.gz source distros.
    Each time I try to run ./configure I get an error that $PATH does not have a C Compiler.

So, I attempted to install Development Tools from within the Add/Remove Applications tool.
    That fails, and says I need the following packages:
    krb5-libs = 1.2.7-10 (Required By krb5-devel)
    openssl = 0.9.7a-2 (Required By openssl-devel)

So, I scoured the net and found both of those (in RPM format only). I was able to install the krb5 rpm, to my knowledge, but the openssl RPM said I already had a newer version. After that, I still have the same problems installing development tools.

Sorry if that's long winded. Could anyone help me?
    This is pretty much my first time using Linux. Previous attempts were all futile.

Linux User
    you can use --nodeps and --force when installing programms with RPM

Linux Guru
    Indeed, these depency things with RPMs aren't really great, but they can often be resolved. If you run into circular depencies, eg. when one packet requires another, but that one requires the first, specify both in the same call to rpm, and it will see that the depencies will be resolved once all packets are installed.

However, that compilation problem you had is pretty easily solved: You simply don't have a C compiler installed. Install gcc from your installation CDs and you'll be alright.

Linux Enthusiast
    go into you K- add/remove applications (can't remember where exactly it is - try accessories or system or utlities, you'll find it)

have the cd's handy and when the screen comes on to show you what you already have, look for developement tools, click on 'details' at the right side and check off which ones you want - then at the bottom right, click on 'update' and it will prompt you for whatever cd's it needs to install those packages.

this is one thing i really like about rh9 - they made this super easy

Just Joined!
    That's actually what I was trying to do, is use add/remove applications to add development tools

I got the problem resolved now.
    Thanks.

Just Joined!
    use apt instead. It resolves dependencies for you. go to http://apt.freshrpms.net and download the rpm for red hat 9. You probably know how to install an rpm so disregard the rest if you like... from the cli run (as root)
    $: rpm -ivh apt*
    after that go to google and enter apt +how +to (if you don't use the '+' sign you can get some unwanted returns) read the apt-get how to. (disregard the fact that it says it is not a guide for apt-rpm, the commands are the same)

then whenever you want an rpm installed, run
    $: apt-get install [package_name]
    it will automatically build a dep tree and tell you what will need to be installed to make that package work...then follow along thru the HowTo.
    it makes life so much easier. There is also a GUI front end package you can dl called synaptic...talk about easy. It makes the add/remove packages program look like dos :)

Just Joined!
    Wow, thanks!
    I am very new to linux, so I actually didn't know how to use rpm through the terminal.

Apt-get was recommended to me, but I had no idea where to get it or anything about it really.. thanks again.

Just Joined!
    No problem. I am watching this thread so if you stumble post here and I'll try to help.

and just because it can cause headaches, don't forget to read/understad the command
    $: apt-get update
    sometimes when trolling for packages apt will not be able to find them on the web. It is usually because it is looking at an old list. When you run apt-get update it "refreshes" the list of available software. Also, look into the dir where apt is kept and in one of the config files are the websites that apt queries for available software (the default is freshrpms, I believe) if the package you are after is not on fresh rpms it won't find it. You can manually add a website or (like I do) just download the rpm to a tmp directory in your home directory and point the path out to apt.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Linux Enthusiast
    apt-get can be good for some things, but there are LOTS of things that still won't work or it won't find.

Just Joined!
    well he didn't ask for LOTS of things he asked for dev tools.