Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just a quick question. I'm about to do a ubuntu install, and i have 90GB free out of a 160 GB drive. These 90GB are shown as being on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which part of the disk is fastest as seen in gparted?

Just a quick question. I'm about to do a ubuntu install, and i have 90GB free out of a 160 GB drive. These 90GB are shown as being on the right hand side of gparted.

So, my question is; is the outside of the disk shown on the left or on the right in gparted?

I'd like to know because having my / partition on the outside should speed up boots, am i right?

Just Joined!
    hmm, never mind

did a quick pick of research on wikipedia, and looking at information about my drive in gparted, and i think gparted divides the drive into sectors, rather than tracks. no idea if this is normal or not, but i'd reckon it is.

so it divides it into slices of a pie rather than un-ravelling it like a big circle of string

As far as I can tell, the location of the partition as shown in Gparted makes no difference in speed or performance. And it doesn't divide it into tracks or sectors, it shows you all of your separate partitions.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close