Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by L4Linux That's the icon i meant: 1. Computer Did you find the hard disks in there? When you copy your files(and check on the mac to make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    That's the icon i meant:
    1. Computer

Did you find the hard disks in there?
    When you copy your files(and check on the mac to make sure that they were copied ok), you can install Fedora 9 by clicking 3.Install to hard drive.
    When you reach the partition screen, delete the windows partition (it is type ntfs or fat32), if you don't windows any more and create 3 partitions:
    1. Linux swap 1gb
    2. ext3 10gb mount point /
    3. ext3 all available space mount point /home

All your videos, music and documents will be stored on /home, so you should give the most space there.
    I didn't find Windows there. Can you please be a it more specific as to where to look?
    Thanks.

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    We will be able to assist you further after we get this info.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Can you post the output of
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    We will be able to assist you further after we get this info.
    Here's the output:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xbcfbbcfb

Device Boot       Start       End         Blocks                 ID         System
    /dev/sda1 *           1        2550     20482843+           7        HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2           2551     4865     18595237+           f         W95 Ext’d (LBA)
    /dev/sda3           2551     4865     18595206+           7        HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/dm-0: 4294 MB, 4294967296 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 522 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 - 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/dm-0 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/dm-1: 4294 MB, 4294967296 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 522 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/dm-1 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/sdb: 33 MB, 33046528 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x0d0cb0a

Device Boot       Start       End       Blocks        ID        System
    /dev/sda1 *           1           5        32240         b       W95 FAT32
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
          phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(0, 0, 33)
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
          phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(4, 3, 63)
    [root@localhost ~]#
    Also, I typed a code that should just mount a partition so as to recover valuable files, which is:
    Code:
    su
    mkdir /mnt/winxp
    mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/winxp
    It's output was:
    Code:
    ntfs-3g: Failed to acess volume ‘/dev/sdal’: No such file or directory
    Please type ‘/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g --help’ for more information.
    Then I typed that command & it showed:
    Code:
    ntfs-3g 1.2506 integrated FUSE 27 - Third Generation NTFS Driver

Copyright (C) 2006-2008 Szabolcs Szakacsits
    Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Yura Pakhuchiy

Usage: ntfs-3g <device|image_files> <mount_point> [-o option[,...]]

Options: ro (read-only mount), force, remove_hiberfile, locale=,
                   uid=, gid=, umask=, fmask=, dmask=, streams_interface=.
                   Please see the details in the manual.

Example: ntfs-3g /dev/sdal /mt/win -o force

Ntfs-3g news, suport and information: http://ntfs-3g.org
    So I typed:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# ntfs-3g /dev/sdal /mnt/win -o force
    And it showed:
    Code:
    ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume ‘dev/sdal’: No such file or directory
    However, when I opened the file browser & went to /mnt there was a new folder named /winxp which should hold the files I'm looking for right? But it was empty....

Again, thanks~

Okay, so it created the directory, but failed to mount it. Try this one:
    Code:
    su -
    mkdir /media/winxp
    mount -t  ntfs  /dev/hda1  /media/winxp -o defaults,umask=0
    ls /media/winxp
    Do you happen to have XP and another Windows OS? I only ask because you have another Win partition. So also execute
    Code:
    su -
    mkdir /media/winxp
    mount -t  ntfs  /dev/hda3  /media/winxp -o defaults,umask=0
    ls /media/winxp
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Okay, so it created the directory, but failed to mount it. Try this one:
    Code:
    su -
    mkdir /media/winxp
    mount -t  ntfs  /dev/hda1  /media/winxp -o defaults,umask=0
    ls /media/winxp
    Do you happen to have XP and another Windows OS? I only ask because you have another Win partition. So also execute
    Code:
    su -
    mkdir /media/winxp
    mount -t  ntfs  /dev/hda3  /media/winxp -o defaults,umask=0
    ls /media/winxp
    I typed the first code & a '20.3 GB' folder showed up on the desktop (it was already there in 'Computer,' but it wasn't opening before.) However this time it did & I'm so happy to inform you that all my files were there!

But the second code didn't show anything except the output text in green in the terminal.

So then, I got a new 16 GB USB Flash Drive (here's a link to that: Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: USB Drives: GXT 16GB USB 2.0 Pendrive (GXT-16GXPD)) & then I copied a folder into the USB Flash Drive icon that showed up on the desktop & even though it was gong fine, the computer froze in the middle & I couldn't even move the cursor or cancel the copy to retry it. So I rebooted the computer & took out the USB Flash Drive & when I plugged it into my Mac, some of the files were copied.

But since then, every time I plug in the USB Flash Drive, just a folder shows up called 'USB Drive' in 'Computer' (occasionally on the desktop like before) & when I clic on to open it, a pop up say that the location could not be determined or is not valid. I've tried plugging it in every USB port on the desktop but it's not working even though it works fine on the Mac.
    And the computer just keeps freezing up in the middle, so I've rebooted about 5 times already but still nothing.

Is there a problem with the USB Flash Drive? I just got it today, for the sole purpose of transferring the data over.

Awesome!!! Glad to hear you got your files back!

But the second code didn't show anything except the output text in green in the terminal
    That's fine... I just out it there incase you had a second Windows OS. No worries! As far as the flash drive problems, it sounds like when the computer froze up, it might have just currupted the partitioning of it. Try to erase the flash drive and transfer the files again.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!

That's fine... I just out it there incase you had a second Windows OS. No worries! As far as the flash drive problems, it sounds like when the computer froze up, it might have just currupted the partitioning of it. Try to erase the flash drive and transfer the files again.
    Thanks for everything so far but I still need help installing Fedora 9 as the new operating system on the computer.
    Basically, I went through everything but I'm stuck on the part where you select the partition layout. If you could help me from there onward, that would be great.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by vivenne.lauliet View Post
    I'm stuck on the part where you select the partition layout.
    Partitioning should be based on your individual needs, and the availability of space on the hard disk. I usually make my own partitions something like the following:

Code:
    / about 6 to 10 GB, ext3
    swap about 512 MB to 1 GB, swap
    /home about 6 to 10 GB, ext3
    The / and /home partitions can be bigger if you have the extra space available, but I wouldn't go smaller. The swap partition might not be needed at all if you have lots of RAM. I have 4 GB of RAM but go ahead and make a small swap partition anyway since I have lots of extra hard drive space. However, it never gets used by the system.

Note too, that you don't have to create the separate /home partition, but I prefer to have one for my own needs.

Have fun with Linux!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Have fun with Linux!
    I will & thank you, I managed to install it successfully by reformattig the whole hard drive so now this is the only OS on it.

However, as these things are extremely necessary to run the computer & I'm not sure, could you please help me as to how to set up:
    1. My 'Motorola Wireless PCI Adapter WPCI810G' for Wifi access as on its installation CD, it says under Operating Systems supported: Microsoft Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP Home or XP Professional

2. My dial-up internet connection with http://www.295.ca/
    I will be calling them tomorrow as on their website, there are no setup instructions for a Linux OS

What are my options for internet connection with Linux because I don't have & am neither planning to buy a high speed internet service?

3. My 'HP Officejet 5600 series' which is also supported by only: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP & Macintosh OS X v10.2.8 & higher,
    v10.3 & higher, &
    v10.4 & higher.

4.My 'HP LaserJet 1012' which doesn't say anything on the CD but when I try to run it, it shows that access is denied even if I login with the root password.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot once again, I managed to install it successfully by reformattig the whole hard drive so now this is the only OS on it.

However, as these things are extremely necessary to run the computer & I'm not sure, could you please help me as to how to set up:
    1. My 'Motorola Wireless PCI Adapter WPCI810G' for Wifi access as on its installation CD, it says under Operating Systems supported: Microsoft Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP Home or XP Professional

2. My dial-up internet connection with Welcome to 295.ca - Canada's Most Inexpensive Unlimited Dialup Service and DSL
    I will be calling them tomorrow as on their website, there are no setup instructions for a Linux OS

What are my options for internet connection with Linux because I don't have & am neither planning to buy a high speed internet service?

3. My 'HP Officejet 5600 series' which is also supported by only: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP & Macintosh OS X v10.2.8 & higher,
    v10.3 & higher, &
    v10.4 & higher.

4.My 'HP LaserJet 1012' which doesn't say anything on the CD but when I try to run it, it shows that access is denied even if I login with the root password.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast