Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello, As I mentioned in the title, I need to know how to restore my files on my crashed Windows XP desktop with the Fedora 9 Live CDi. And after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Restore files from crashed Windows XP with Fedora 9 Live CD?

Hello,
    As I mentioned in the title, I need to know how to restore my files on my crashed Windows XP desktop with the Fedora 9 Live CDi. And after files have been transferred to my Mac (going to do so with USB Flash drive), I want to upgrade the OS to that of Fedora 9.

I got the Fedora 9 Live CD from a store which downloaded it online & burned it on to a CD for me. It actually worked when I got home but: 1. The desktop doesn't show a taskbar. And 2. I can't see the File Manager (which I should on the desktop) in order to locate the files that I'm trying to restore. There are only 4 icons on the desktop:
    1. Computer
    2. Fedora's Home
    3. Install to Hard Drive
    4. Trash

I would have used the Windows XP recovery mode as I borrowed that disk from someone to upgrade/install XP on the computer. Unfortunately, that person doesn't have that disk anymore either.

Someone also mentioned here that I could pull that drive out of the PC and temporarily connect it to a controller in another PC to get those files. I'd like to now how I can do this.
    Also, can I connect it with some kind of cable to my MacBook Pro to directly transfer the data over?

Can you please be a bit specific? This is my first time doing anything with Linux.

I'm really looking forward to any insight into the matter.
    Thank you.

P.S. Is there a place to get this done? I live near Toronto, (Ontario) Canada in Brampton so a store near that would be great but I'm willing to compromise on this.

Boot your pc using the Livecd.
    Open the file manager (icon computer on desktop) and find the hard disks. The disk that contains windows must appear there. Plug a usb stick or usb hard disk, they should appear on the desktop, and copy your files.

You have to mount Windows Partitions first. Boot up from Fedora LiveCD. Open Terminal/Konsole ( look for it in Menu ) and type this
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    You have to mount Windows Partitions first. Boot up from Fedora LiveCD. Open Terminal/Konsole ( look for it in Menu ) and type this
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.

But I read on a website that using FDISK will erase all the data on the hard drive. Is that true? Because I want to copy the files to a USB flash drive before formatting the hard drive.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    Boot your pc using the Livecd.
    Open the file manager (icon computer on desktop) and find the hard disks. The disk that contains windows must appear there. Plug a usb stick or usb hard disk, they should appear on the desktop, and copy your files.
    But there is no file manager icon on the desktop. There are only:
    1. Computer
    2. Fedora's Home
    3. Install to Hard Drive
    4. Trash

There isn't even a taskbar. Is there another way to open file manager?

fdisk -l command will list partition structure of harddisk only. It will not erase anything. Dont worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vivenne.lauliet View Post
    But there is no file manager icon on the desktop. There are only:
    1. Computer
    2. Fedora's Home
    3. Install to Hard Drive
    4. Trash

There isn't even a taskbar. Is there another way to open file manager?
    Press Alt+F2 and type nautilus. Check if Nautilus windows pops up.

That's the icon i meant:
    1. Computer

Did you find the hard disks in there?
    When you copy your files(and check on the mac to make sure that they were copied ok), you can install Fedora 9 by clicking 3.Install to hard drive.
    When you reach the partition screen, delete the windows partition (it is type ntfs or fat32), if you don't windows any more and create 3 partitions:
    1. Linux swap 1gb
    2. ext3 10gb mount point /
    3. ext3 all available space mount point /home

All your videos, music and documents will be stored on /home, so you should give the most space there.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.

I typed Terminal in Find & a lot of then showed up. How do
    i know which one to open?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    That's the icon i meant:
    1. Computer

Did you find the hard disks in there?
    When you copy your files(and check on the mac to make sure that they were copied ok), you can install Fedora 9 by clicking 3.Install to hard drive.
    When you reach the partition screen, delete the windows partition (it is type ntfs or fat32), if you don't windows any more and create 3 partitions:
    1. Linux swap 1gb
    2. ext3 10gb mount point /
    3. ext3 all available space mount point /home

All your videos, music and documents will be stored on /home, so you should give the most space there.
    I can't find the hard disks in there. There's only a bunch of other icons...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast