Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello folks, I recently downloaded Unbutu 8.04.1, I burned it trough my laptop and can read all the files in that cd without any problems (on the laptop). I inserted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install unbutu problem

Hello folks,

I recently downloaded Unbutu 8.04.1, I burned it trough my laptop and can read all the files in that cd without any problems (on the laptop).

I inserted that disk into the machine, started it up and get a disk boot failure.
    I started it up again under win XP and tried to read the cd but windows won't recognize I've got a disk in there.

Does that sounds familliar to anybody?

Linux Guru
    You need to burn it as an iso image and check the md5 sum. After doing this you can set your BIOS to boot first from CD, put it in the drive and start.

Just Joined!
    can you tell me how to do that from the icon I downloaded, also I am not sure what the md5 sum is. Thanks for help..

In your CD burning software you need to find something that is labled something along the lines of "burn ISO" or "burn image"
    Linux User #453176

A guide for md5sum can be found in this link

Burn Image to Disk option is available in most of CD/DVD burning packages. Its available in Nero too.
    Look for Burn Image to Disk option in your CD/DVD burner package and select .iso image of Ubuntu. Try to burn .iso image at lowest possible speed supported by your CD Burner.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First