Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, After installing an upgraded virus scanner, and a MS patch, I can't boot into Windows XP. Grub seems to boot all right, but after showing the Windows splash screen, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows boot problem

Hi,
    After installing an upgraded virus scanner, and a MS patch, I can't boot into Windows XP.
    Grub seems to boot all right, but after showing the Windows splash screen, the standard blue Windows backgrund color shows up (not a blue text screen). After 20 sec. the machine reboots.
    I can't even enter safe mode.

I tried to recover from the Windows installation disk and a PE builder disk, but in both cases the machine starts up, writes something like "checking hardware...." and after a few secs. the screen turns black. The hard disk seems to be running, but nothing else happens.

I connected the disk to and other computer, and I can see that my data is intact, and I can even access the data

Could it be Grub that is preventing the recovery disks from doing theire job?

I prefer not to reinstall Windows, so I've been thinking if TestDisk could fix this, but I have no experience using TestDisk.

I'd appreciate some help

Thanks, Glenn

Grub can't interfere with the recovery disk. Once an OS(from hdd, cd or usb) or the recovery disk boots, GRUB is gone until you reboot the pc.

GRUB is creating problem. In Linux/Windows dual boot system, Windows Installation/Recovery CD/DVD doesn't work in a few machines.
    Remove GRUB using SuperGRUB CD. You can re-install GRUB later on easily.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How can it cause problem AFTER the recovery disk has booted?
    I am so confused...
    Could you explain it in simple words, so i might understand it? I have SO much to learn.

Its a BIOS/GRUB compatibility problem. In a few machines, Windows Installation/Recovery disks stuck at checking hardware.... stage. GRUB somehow doesn't allow this. I tried to research on this but GRUB's code is very complex, messy and GRUB developement team has abandoned GRUB. Dev Team is working on GRUB2 these days.
    I have 30+ machines in my Lab and Windows Installation/Recovery disks stuck at same stage in 9-10 machines. Removing GRUB from MBR sort out this problem.

Seems that every major Linux/FOSS component was or will be totally rewritten until next year! KDE4, Firefox 3, Gnome 3 (any news on that?), Amarok and GRUB2. This will lead to even more innovation in th future, as code bases will be cleaner and easier for developers.

And there is also packagekit, to finally bring a consistent front-end to all distributions' package management, without sacrificing the choice of back-end(rpm,deb, whatever..) These are very exciting times indeed!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all your answers.
    I tried to update the BIOS, but it didnt solve my problem.
    I also tried to create a SuperGrub disk from the iso, but as far as I can see, there is not an option for removing Grub.

Since I am using a Notebook, I dont have a floppy, so I created a bootable USB stick, but the mashine doesnt recognize. So I still stuck.

I sucessfully booted a fedore 4 rescue disk. Isnt there a command to remove Grub from here?

Thanks

Which version of SuperGRUB CD did you download?
    Is it possible for you to do fresh install of Windows OS? Its easy to wipe Harddisk including GRUB.

Just Joined!
    Casper, I'm using SuperGrub iso image super_grub_disk_0[1].9755.iso

Of course it would be the easiest way, just to whipe the disk, but I prefer to keep it for now.

Since I can access the disk, when plugging it into an other mashine, Ive been thinking of just erasing the partition with grub.
    Would this cause new problems?

GRUB is stored in MBR of Harddisk. Its not installed in any partition ( except boot sector ). Deleting partition wont do any good. I will check .9755.iso and let you know.

btw, I have .9598 version and it has 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast