Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Jonathon, I can run windows vista or linux as long is it is the primary hard drive(just by switching cables,sata)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Jonathon, I can run windows vista or linux as long is it is the primary hard drive(just by switching cables,sata)

Just Joined!
    cables seem secure on the motherboard.

Windows did recognize the new hard when I first installed it.

Just Joined!
    sry double post

Linux Guru
    Code:
    Jonathon, I can run windows vista or linux as long is it is the primary hard drive(just by switching cables,sata
    Are you switching cables to get each drive to boot? Are you changing the boot priority in the BIOS also? No? If you have to switch the cables and use the same ones in order to boot a drive it would seem a good indication that the other cable to the mb or power supply is bad. Or is that not what you meant by the above comment?

Also curious as to what is on sdb2?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Code:
    Jonathon, I can run windows vista or linux as long is it is the primary hard drive(just by switching cables,sata
    Are you switching cables to get each drive to boot? Are you changing the boot priority in the BIOS also? No? If you have to switch the cables and use the same ones in order to boot a drive it would seem a good indication that the other cable to the mb or power supply is bad. Or is that not what you meant by the above comment?

I switch the the SATA data cable and the power cable.(i don't think it matter if you don't switch power cable but i do)
    I use same cables for both hard drives.

I am not changing anything in BIOS.

To run each hard drive as a primary, I am just switching the SATA data cable(and power cable) and then BIOS recognizes it as primary.

Just Joined!
    Code:

sdb2 is 10G recovery partition

Linux Guru
    The entry devils casper suggested in post 13 as well as the entries you posted in your post 17 are correct, assuming you have Fedora installed on the first drive and Grub in its mbr and windows on the second drive. When you boot Fedora you are using Grub, correct? When you boot windows, does it use the windows bootloader or Grub. I'm assuming it uses ntldr with no Grub involved?/

Your cables may be secure and still be bad. Just try using the other set of cables to boot windows and then Linux, don't connect the ones you know work at all so you can determine whether the other cables are bad. Could be either cable (to mbd or power supply) is bad. If neither boots, then either a bad cable to the mbd or power supply.

Just Joined!
    The entry devils casper suggested in post 13 as well as the entries you posted in your post 17 are correct, assuming you have Fedora installed on the first drive and Grub in its mbr and windows on the second drive. When you boot Fedora you are using Grub, correct? When you boot windows, does it use the windows bootloader or Grub. I'm assuming it uses ntldr with no Grub involved?/

Your cables may be secure and still be bad. Just try using the other set of cables to boot windows and then Linux, don't connect the ones you know work at all so you can determine whether the other cables are bad. Could be either cable (to mbd or power supply) is bad. If neither boots, then either a bad cable to the mbd or power supply.
    I checked cables and BIOS and I noticed the only hard drive turned on in BIOS was my orginal hard drive. Damn. So I turned on my second one.
    How did Windows recognize the other hard drive if it was off in BIOS?

Was it off or Disabled?
    Disabled disks do not boot up but you can view the contents of those disks.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Was it off or Disabled?
    Disabled disks do not boot up but you can view the contents of those disks.
    My Bios has choice of on or off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast