Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I just registered, and I'm happy to see such a lively forum which I'm sure I'll be visiting frequently as I attempt to install Linux. Anywho, onto my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with gparted and my vista installation

Hello all. I just registered, and I'm happy to see such a lively forum which I'm sure I'll be visiting frequently as I attempt to install Linux. Anywho, onto my question.

I recently bought a Dell XPS M1530, and am trying to get it to dual boot Vista and Linux. I downloaded an Ubuntu livecd and ran gparted. I shrunk my C: drive partition by 10gb, and it took about 4 hours. After it finished, it appeared to have worked, but gave me an error, advising I run chkdsk to get vista working again. I tried a few things with my vista recovery disk, but it seems I've run out of options. As it stands, When I try to boot from the harddisk, Nothing happens. After the bios, it just sits on a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left.

According to my Vista recovery CD, there is nothing wrong with my C: drive partition. It just doesn't work. Here's what gparted shows as of right now.

Does anyone see anything wrong here that I can fix? Or have any suggestions? Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Does the bootloader appear? (something like the following picture)

Just Joined!
    No, no boot loader appears. I haven't installed one (I haven't actually installed anything yet).

It could be that something happened to Mater Boot Record(MBR) or the vista bootloader.
    Better wait for one of the expert members to propose a solution,
    i would tell you that installing Ubuntu(+ its bootloader) could fix the problem, but it may make things worse and force you to reinstall vista. You would still be able to recover your files though.