Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, First post on the forum and very glad to be a part of this community I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows XP and Linux (Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help with dual boot...

Hi all,

First post on the forum and very glad to be a part of this community

I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows XP and Linux (Ubuntu 8.0.4), as well as a DATA partition. I would like to know how to "re-install" Windows XP without messing up my Linux installation and my data partition. My configuration is as follows:

- HDD size is 100GB partitioned as:
    25GB Windows, 25GB Linux, 50GB DATA

When I tried to re-install Windows, the installation gets to the point of copying the "ntldr" file and throws out a message that it cannot copy this file to the HDD The only way I was able to overcome this issue was to format the entire HDD and re-install both Linux and Windows from scratch. You guys can imagine the nightmare of getting the data off the DATA partition. I am posting this question for the purposes of learning so as to know what to do in future. I'm new to Linux and am enjoying the challenges of learning this wonderful OS. Looking forward to a long term participation on this forum.

Thanking you guys in anticipation. Sorry for the long post, it is my first, so please excuse me...Cheers

Welcome to the forums pirates

Try using the SuperGrub CD to restore Windows boot code to the MBR. After that try to re-install Windows (and check it boots correctly), then use SuperGrub to restore grub to the MBR

Thanx Jonathan

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by pirates View Post
    Thanx Jonathan
    explained in steps,tested,works
    go thro

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ing-linux.html