Find the answer to your Linux question:
For a high school project my son installed linux after removing windows on our spare pc. Now I need to get linux off and reinstall windows. I have no idea ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting rid of linux

For a high school project my son installed linux after removing windows on our spare pc. Now I need to get linux off and reinstall windows. I have no idea where to start. Help!

Re: getting rid of linux

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer
    For a high school project my son installed linux after removing windows on our spare pc. Now I need to get linux off and reinstall windows. I have no idea where to start. Help!
    I'll forego the usual question of "Why do you want to get rid of Linux?" even though it's the first thing that popped into my head.

The easiest way to do it (if you don't need to save any of the data on the computer) is to pop in your MS Windows CD, boot your computer, and do a clean install. This will wipe anything that's on the computer and install a fresh copy of MS Windows. If you have things on the harddrive that you need to keep, this is still the easiest method, but you'll need to find some way to save your files first, either by burning them to a CD-R or moving them to another machine...

By the way, what version of MS Windows were you planning to install?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, windows XP. I know absolutely nothing about linux so I figured I may as well remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer
    Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, windows XP. I know absolutely nothing about linux so I figured I may as well remove it.
    No problem. I hope some day your curiosity encourages you to at least try Linux out. If you decide to do this there are LiveCD versions that run completely off your CDROM (and won't erase any of your files or OS). Some that I like are Mepis Linux, Knoppix Linux, or Mandrake Move.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Windows XP will sure get rid of linux (those who tried to dual boot linux and Windows XP seems to think it(windows) was made for that purpose... :/ )
    Also, windows XP will install it's own MBR (meaning that if there was lilo or grub that took care of the boot up process it will be deleted, Win2k had the curtesy of keeping it (iirc), Win9X/Me zaped the MBR)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Enthusiast
    No one knows anything about Linux when they just start using it...
    Don't let lack of knowledge keep you from using a superior OS.

no no, its ok if someone wants to move back, but before you remove it, it might be a little fun to fiddle with for a few hours before removal, it can be quite a fun learning experiance.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333