Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
So the problem, you think, is not so much that the boot disk doesn't match the CD, but that the CD can't be read properly? Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So the problem, you think, is not so much that the boot disk doesn't match the CD, but that the CD can't be read properly?

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, you think this is the case because the "/dosutils" and "/images" directories don't appear. Here's the catch, though: they don't appear either on the old computer or on the new one, using Win98FE or tom's on the old one, or using Win98FE or RedHat on the new one - which makes me seriously doubt that they were written to the CD to begin with, and would seem to imply that the problem is really that the disk made from the FTP image and the CD don't match. As a result, whether the CD's data resided on the CD, or on FTP, or on a second HD, the problem would remain, right? (Or am I missing something?)

I'm going to do some more boot disk modification experiments and will post back shortly.

Linux Guru
    Oh, I thought dosutils and images were present on the new one.
    Well, apparently there is some difference between the old and the new computer, so try putting the HD from the old computer in the new one and install Linux on the new computer, then put it back in the old one.

Just Joined!
    I was beginning to think that an HD swap like that would be my only remaining option too.

Then, though, I noticed some fine print in the back of the book with an 800 number for the publishers. I called it, got through to tech support, and explained my problem. Apparently, the "Publisher's Edition" that is on the CD is indeed different enough in some subtle way that the official RedHat boot images don't work. They also admitted that they really did leave "dosutils" and "images" off the CD; it wasn't a read problem. Happily, though, they provided a URL with the missing files, including a boot floppy image: http://www.wiley.com/compbooks/errata/redhatpubed/ (I figured I'd include the URL in case anyone else with this problem comes to this forum looking for an answer; they can find this thread).

Now I'm in the middle of the install on that computer, and all seems to be working fine. So thank you VERY much for your help Dolda; the problem seems to be solved!!

Linux Guru
    Oh, how interesting... Oh, well, I guess that takes care of it. I'll be sure to redirect people here if I see it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2