Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Please help - I am a newby to all this (though generally competent with computers otherwise)! I have just installed ubuntu/Linux to my computer running Vista but now it wont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Help!

Please help - I am a newby to all this (though generally competent with computers otherwise)!

I have just installed ubuntu/Linux to my computer running Vista but now it wont accept my username or password.

I have tried rebooting and pressing F2/F11 etc to no avail.

It also wont let me use vista now - what has gone wrong and can I fix it?

Hi there. Welcome to the forums!

To figure out what's happened we need a few more details.

There seems to be two problems -- Ubuntu wont accept your password any more, and Vista won't boot. Can you explain in more detail what happens with each of these problems?

When you start your computer and choose to boot Ubuntu, does it get as far as showing you a graphical log-in screen asking for your username and password? What happens next? Does it complain that your username/password is incorrect?

With Vista, what do you mean when you say that it won't let you use it? Does it not give you the choice of booting Vista, or does Vista simply not work when you select this option?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    When I boot, it doesnt offer me any options, just loads ubuntu as it used to boot windows. I have checked and changed the password via the disk, but it wont let me in otherwise. I have tried pressing escape to get into recovery, but it wont recognise it.

My questions are - how can I get back to vista, or into ubuntu.
    Have I lost vista completely? In which case what can I do, as I cannot find my restore disk (is it a case of buying a new windows disk? I hope not!

Please help me - It is driving me mad!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, first *don't panic* I know that seems weird, but, really, don't worry. You haven't lost Vista -- you've just temporarily lost the ability to boot into Vista! We'll try to fix that now.

So, you boot your computer, and then it brings you straight to the Ubuntu log-in screen, correct? At this point, you enter your username, and then your password, and it complains that your password is wrong -- is this what happens?

Can you still boot from the Ubuntu CD?

Do you have any stuff on Ubuntu that you haven't backed up (i.e. would you be willing to try reinstalling Ubuntu?) ?

I see two possible solutions here.
    1/ Reinstall Ubuntu. This is nice and easy, and will get you up and running the fastest. It won't work if you have documents on the Ubuntu partition that you're not willing to lose, but we could still extract them using the liveCD.
    2/ Use the liveCD to reset your Ubuntu password. This is a little technical, but I think I can talk you through it. I'd say this is more difficult than the reinstall option, but might teach you a little about how linux works.

It's up to you. Let me know the answers to my questions, and tell me which option you prefer. We'll work on from there.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Just Joined!
    Hi - I only installed it today, so havent put anything on yet.

Please talk me through it - ideally I would still like to be able to use vista occasionally, but if not it doesnt matter that much.

One more question - can you use games that state they work on xp with ubuntu? If so, that would be the perfect solution!

Thanks in advance

You want to reinstall Ubuntu?

Windows games won't work natively with Ubuntu. There is some software called Wine that allows you to run *some* Windows software on Linux, but it's far from perfect, and your games may not work :S

Let me know if you want to do a fresh reinstall of Ubuntu or if you want to try my other option first.

Just Joined!
    Yep - go for quick install - well whatever you think is best really

That's easiest to describe

Just stick the Ubuntu CD in the drive, start your computer, and run through the installation like you did before. This time, make sure to take a note of your username and password.

It shouldn't take you long. After you've done this, make sure you can boot into Ubuntu. Then I'll try to help you get access to Vista again.

One piece of advice. Don't panic!! You need to do this nice and calmly, being careful about any choices you make, thinking clearly. Rushing through this might lead to another error!

PS: Do you know how you partitioned your disc when you installed Ubuntu the first time? Are you sure that you gave Ubuntu its own space, or did you accidentally install it over Vista?

I suggest - boot from the live CD, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    the l is a small L. That way we can see disk partition structure, confirm if Windows Vista is still on the hard drive and check which partitions you have already made with the current installation.

Ed: You should find the terminal in the application menu ... application->accessories->terminal.

Just Joined!
    I think I might have installed it over vista - I am guessing that if I did I cant get it back? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast