Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I think you are right about this: My understanding is that line 2 loads the boot partition into Grub's root partition. Therefore all other lines now have (hd0,1) as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think you are right about this:
    My understanding is that line 2 loads the boot partition into Grub's root partition. Therefore all other lines now have (hd0,1) as a prefix. I'm thinking that line 3 is really:
    kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4/ ro
    But what it is actually doing seems to contradict that. Maybe the docs are wrong? Which version of the docs are you using and which version of grub are you using?

Also, this is a dumb question, but just to make sure:
    Are you absolutely, positively sure that the config lines you listed on your posting exactly match the grub config file. And there is absolutely not a symbolic link named vmlinux in /boot?

Linux Enthusiast
    both
    kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz and
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz
    will work. This is by design. once you tell grub what the root is '/' always refers to the root as givin to grub. Everything after the kernel (kernelname) are kernel parameters, and the kernel itself resolves /dev/hda4 to (81:4) or whatever it is
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer

PROBLEM SOLVED

Hello all,

My syntax and theory was correct after all
    ===/boot/grub/menu.lst=======
    title Debian GNU/Linx (2.4.18-bf2.4)
    # This mounts the boot partition(hd0,1) into GRUB's root
    root (hd0,1)
    # Because of the previous line, I will NOT need to use the absolute path
    # to load the kernel. The next line is treated as
    # kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda4 ro
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda4 ro
    =======================

I should also point out that this kernel(flavor in Debian)2.4.18-bf2.4 does NOT need to use the 'initrd' command. I believe other flavors in Debian such as vanilla nad idepci MUST load initrd.

OK, so the menu was correct after all. My problem was the boot partition. When I installed Debian, I thought that the boot partition was written during installation. I was WRONG. The boot partition still had Redhat's old files. That's why I was booting to kernel 2.4.18-3 before.
    After mounting /dev/hda2 and replacing it with my /boot directory, the boot partition now had it's Debian files. Now everything works fine except spalshimage. It seems that this is NOT a part of GRUB and is handled by many indiviudal distros such as Redhat and Bluepoint. Debian does not directly support this but an unstable version is available. This will most likely be stable in the next release

bp
    The best things in life are free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2