Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get Linux on my OLD mac powerbook 180 running on System 7.1. It's got CPU: 33 MHz 68030, 4MB RAM, and a 80 MB hard drive. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Installation of Linux for an old Mac

I'm trying to get Linux on my OLD mac powerbook 180 running on System 7.1. It's got CPU: 33 MHz 68030, 4MB RAM, and a 80 MB hard drive. The main problem is that i don't have a CD drive on it, so i need to use floppies.

I don't know if this affects anything, but any computers that I would be able to download the virtual floppies onto are Windows computers...

So i basically want to find which Linux version to get and how to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by squionk View Post
    I'm trying to get Linux on my OLD mac powerbook 180 running on System 7.1. It's got CPU: 33 MHz 68030, 4MB RAM, and a 80 MB hard drive. The main problem is that i don't have a CD drive on it, so i need to use floppies.

I don't know if this affects anything, but any computers that I would be able to download the virtual floppies onto are Windows computers...

So i basically want to find which Linux version to get and how to get it.
    e

Yes, downloading and extracting to floppies should work. Some of the netinstall versions come under 100mb's (If you're new, find a distro with good documentation for install, like debian or Gentoo - but gentoo takes a lot of setup). You need the 'ppc' architecture - All macs are designated PowerPC. (ppc32 since it's old). You can find one of the distro chooser quiz'es (i suggest the one on Polishlinux since it's more extensive).

Please do write here again if you have any problems with the installation.

Comradely, DingoBoy.